Legalizing marijuana to be a medical option has two sides to it. The side supports it has a lot of pros that show that marijuanna, should in fact be legalized. Marijuanna is known for helping alleviate pain or mental health issues. Marijuanna legalization could help these people benefit in their day to day lives. “Marijuana is currently being recommended by doctors throughout the country to safely and effectively alleviate a wide range of symptoms, from chronic pain to anxiety to depression.” This shows that even doctors are seeing marijuanna as a helpful substance that could benefit many people. 

Not legalizing marijuana is the other side of this argument. There are some cons with legalizing it. Some of these cons include that “marijuana is addictive, leads to harder drug use, interferes with fertility, impairs driving ability, and injures the lungs, immune system, and brain.” These cons point out some of the issues that could happen if marijuana was legalized. There would be many people that could get a hold of marijuana that are not using it for a medical use, which in time could be dangerous to their life and lead to some of the cons associated with legalizing marijuana. 

I believe that legalizing marijuana would help solve a lot of the problems going on with it today. Marijuana is a great source for people to use that are in extreme amounts of pain or who suffer with anxiety. It is “safer than some other medications prescribed to treat the same symptoms.” Instead of using opioids for pain relief, using marijuana can help with the same pain and it is not highly addictive. It is way safer to smoke marijuana than to be addicted to opioids for the rest of your life. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Got Weed? by Kaya is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Emily 3 weeks ago

Dear Kaya,
    I 100 percent agree with your post, because medical marijuana has helped so many people and it is natural. It is also much cheaper than most over the counter drugs, which can help so many people across America with their health and financial situation. I think this was a great post and here is a link to why it should be legalized from another source.

https://marijuanalegalizationcanada.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/great-reasons-why-marijuana-legalization-is-important/

Emily Malouf

2. Sophie 3 weeks ago

Hi Kaya,
    I really liked how you added both the pros and cons in your writing. You gave a lot of good evidence to support both of the sides, and I agreed with your final paragraph about how it could solve a lot of problems we have today and how it is a way safer method for pain relief. I can tell you put a lot of effort into this. Good job!
    Sophie