Our American Culture is something that each and everyone of us see everyday. Whether or not we see it in ourselves or in those around us, it is ever present. As a society, there is a tendency to acknowledge homosexuals as people who are less than that of a straight person. This is shown through many works of literature, one such one being Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. 

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by is a book about a gay highschool student named Simon. This book showcases how once he is introduced to the school as gay, he is bullied and looked down upon by his peers. This is shown in the real world as well by an article like “Gay and Lesbian High School Students Report ‘Heartbreaking’ Levels of Violence.” by Jan Hoffman. This article says “These adolescents were three times more likely than straight students to have been raped. They skipped school far more often because they did not feel safe; at least a third had been bullied on school property. And they were twice as likely as heterosexual students to have been threatened or injured with a weapon on school property.” This has to do with our American Culture because it shows how we as a society look down upon people who are outside the social norm. “In the hallways of a rural Oregon high school, gay and lesbian students were taunted with homophobic slurs. In the cafeteria, students pelted a transgender student with food. And when gay and lesbian students got into trouble, the school’s principal assigned a specific punishment just for them: readings from the Bible.” This quote shows that way in which homosexual kids are bullied in high school. All these show how in society it is common for people to attack homosexuals in the present day, but it was also shown in the past. “Gay Rights” shows examples of it in the past.

Since we see that being homosexual has been considered wrong for a long time, I would think that people would become accustomed to the fact that some people like to be with partners of their own gender. That people should stop bullying and being rude to them just because of who they like, and should start being more accepting of them. 

Haag, Matthew. “L.G.B.T. Students in Oregon Were Bullied and Forced to Read Bible, Report Says.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 16 May 2018, www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/us/oregon-school-lgbt-students-bible.html.

History.com Editors. “Gay Rights.” History.com, A&E Television Networks, 28 June 2017, www.history.com/topics/gay-rights/history-of-gay-rights.

Hoffman, Jan. “Gay and Lesbian High School Students Report ‘Heartbreaking’ Levels of Violence.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 11 Aug. 2016, www.nytimes.com/2016/08/12/health/gay-lesbian-teenagers-violence.html.

Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. Turtleback Books, 2016.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What is Our American Culture? by Cooper is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.