Racism is an issue that is commonly argued about in the U.S. Racism according to Audrey Smedley is, “any action, practice, or belief that reflects the racial worldview-the ideology that humans may be divided into separate and exclusive biological entities called “races”.” Racism has been around since the 1500s, the biggest event to start racism was the African slave trade. The problem has not gone away over hundreds of years and doesn’t look like it’s going away anytime soon. 

In the book Indian Killer by Sherman Alexie, there is a good amount of racism involved, especially after the first murder. In the university near the town Native Americans aren’t allowed to have PowWows because they don’t want any uprisings on campus. Also, the newscaster states that, “ My sources say certain evidence makes it clear that an American Indian might be responsible for this crime”(Alexie 56). The newscaster jumps to this statement because the victim was scalped. In the next few pages Maire, John’s new friend, says that Scalping was brought over by the Europeans and was adopted by American Indians. 

Today, We see racism in our everyday lives. It has affected us all in some sort of way. There are multiple movements for equality of races in the U.S. Even in big companies like Facebook there is still discrimination. According to Jessica Guynn from U.S.A Today, “The 12 current and former black employees offered up a long list of microaggressions, the weight of which they say builds over time.” Racism and discrimination should not be in the workplace because it can slow down efficiency and overall hurt the business.

Racism isn’t going to go away anytime soon, but the sooner we start to try and get rid of it, the sooner it will be gone. There have been many cases of racism in the workplace and even with cops in many places across the U.S. In the end Racism needs to end and everyone needs to be treated equally. 

Work Cited

Guynn, Jessica. “Black Facebook Employees Complain Racism, Discrimination Have Gotten Worse.” USA Today, Gannett Satellite Information Network, 10 Nov. 2019, www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2019/11/08/facebooks-current-and-former-black-employees-allege-growing-racism/2534615001/.

Selfa, Lance. “The Roots of Racism.” SocialistWorker.org, socialistworker.org/2010/10/21/the-roots-of-racism. 

Smedley, Audrey. “Racism.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 22 Mar. 2017, www.britannica.com/topic/racism.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Racism by Benjamin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. David 3 weeks ago

Estimado Benjamin;.

Estoy emocionado y contento por leer su lectura, su publicación el Racismo es porque dices toda la verdad que está pasando en nuestro entorno. Cada día vivimos más el racismo
    Gente ignorando o humillando a gente de color, gente rechazando a otros por no tener cualidades tales como de ellos. Una frase que usted escribió que se destaca para mi es
    “cualquier acción, práctica o creencia que reflejen la cosmovisión racial: la ideología de que los humanos pueden dividirse en entidades biológicas separadas y exclusivas llamadas” razas ” . creo que esto a influido en todos los países donde el racismo se vive dia a dia por que segun las estadisticas E.U es el país donde más ocurre el racismo, el racismo es algo que puede traer problemas o tragedias.
    Gracias por tu escritura. Espero ver lo que escribes a continuación porque quisiera saber mas sobre el racismo