This is a very sad experience because I had to leave everything behind, for example, my family. I need most of all my mother and my brothers. I left everything for better opportunities to study. I remember that before I left, I told my mother that we would soon be together.  This experience has taught me to be humble because I had to ask for food from the motel . But sometimes we did not have food and we had to sleep on the ground or in the streets of Mexico. My story or my past every time I remember it, I feel sad because I had days when I wanted  to return. I was very cold and the train was very dangerous, but I thought about my family and my future; it was my priority. Dark days passed because I did not eat. I had to be careful with bad people because if I was not careful, they might kill me or they might take all my money away. It was very difficult to see raped women, babies crying because they were hungry.

My experience of immigrating in this way has changed me.  I am very strong and humble because everything I see on the road children without eating crying because they had single mothers without the support of anyone leave the reason why I am more humble is because I spent several days without eating, sleeping in the streets.  Now I am starting to think that nobody is better than anyone; we are all the same, only that there are people with opportunities and others not and I wonder if it is a punishment. I am stronger because going through places that I did not know was difficult. What happened in some communities or countries was that people would feel scared when they looked at me and said why is your color like that? Children asked me where I was from.  I saw some poor people in these communities and I helped the poor people by giving them some money. I don’t want anyone to live like I lived.

Justice is when people speak up for and help people who need physical safety and security.  The things I saw on my journey are unjust because the children of single mothers live this life.  Why does the government in Central America and other countries not support these poor people? I think the people who want to immigrate from Honduras to the  US should be very careful on the road and in the people you trust. I think the Government of Honduras, Mexico, and the US should have more security and not have corrupt police who sell immigrants to bad people along the way and should consider why we are also people. People who live in the US should help people when they arrive in this country because they have nothing when they arrive. For example, they should give immigrants  shelter, clothes, food, and if they have an extra job for that person because the purpose of that immigrant is to overcome and help their families in their country.  

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Immigrant Story by Joshua is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.