He was born prematurely
Ten days in a test tube
He had hope for freedom
His parents didn’t stop crying

He finally arrived home
He was put in a cradle
Like a boxing arena
He was thinking about freedom

He was the tallest boy
The video game was his friend
He lived in a virtual world
And has always hope for freedom

He was getting old 
But still young in the virtual world
One day, he was called by the stars
And finally, find the freedom

stars.jpg

CC BY-SA 4.0 Hope for freedom by Guest Post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. LaNae 2 months ago

Hi Yannick

I enjoyed your poem, “Hope for Freedom.” The image caught my eye first because like watching documentaries and such about the cosmos and then I saw my classmate was the author!

The stanza that stands out for me is:

“He was the tallest boy
    The video game was his friend
    He lived in a virtual world
    And has always hope for freedom”

I think stanza is powerful and will speak to our youth because in my youth, I was typically the tallest girl in class and I hated it. I tried to slouch to be closer to the other girls heights. We didn’t have video games back then, but I spent a lot of time playing with my Barbie dolls, smile.

Another last stanza also stands out for me is:

“He was getting old
    But still young in the virtual world
    One day, he was called by the stars
    And finally, find the freedom”

This one pulled at my heart strings. It’s sad to think that death is the ultimate freedom. Your poem reminds me of an old country song by George Jones, “He Stopped Loving her Today.” The story in the song is that only in death could he finally let go of a lost love, very sad.

Thanks for your poem, you seem to have a knack for this style of writing!
    LaNae

2. Natasha 2 months ago

I really like this poem and the accompanying photo! I had not considered space as a “place” – when I wrote my poem I only thought in terms of very specific places. The line “the video game was his friend” is intriguing because video games so often have a negative reputation. And I like how the last three stanzas all consider freedom with a different verb. The poem also makes me wonder what kept him from having freedom before “the stars called him.” Thank you for this poem that gives the reader a lot to think about!