In the article about plastics, I learned about how plastic does not just affect ocean life. It affects everything. Plastic pollution has a direct and deadly effect on wildlife and our climate. Scientists predict that there are about 15-51 trillion pieces of plastics in our oceans. ”Billions of pounds of plastic can be found in swirling convergences that make up about 40 percent of the world’s ocean surfaces. At current rates plastic is expected to outweigh all the fish in the sea by 2050”. When we start to see this amount of plastic in our oceans, you start to see plastic islands in the middle of the ocean. Fish start to eat this plastic, confusing it for food and suffer from health problems. If the fish are lucky enough to survive with plastic in their stomachs, they will eventually be caught for food and humans eat the fish with plastic, funny how we start to eat what we throw away.

The primary reason why plastic was created was to replace glass because it would not break. Plastic was used to enhance storage and it could be used forever. But that is the reason why these plastics are so bad. With the mass production of single-use plastics and plastic in general. “Plastic is a material made to last forever, yet 33 percent of all plastic – water bottles, bags, and straws – are used just once and thrown away. Plastic doesn’t biodegrade; it breaks down into smaller and smaller pieces.” Eventually, animals will start to eat the plastic, thinking it was food, then we will hunt those animals and end up eating the plastic that they ate. 

Because plastic can not biodegrade, it ends up in our landfills and oceans. People use plastics regularly but usually, they keep rebuying the same product that they throw away. When these plastics get into our oceans it affects the whole ecosystem and affects our planet. These effects include polluting our oceans and beaches, animals dying from eating plastic, and the fossil fuels to make plastic are going up. To help solve this problem we need to limit our use of plastic, but plastic is everywhere. So take little steps, like not using a plastic straw one time then throwing it out. Or maybe try to limit the use of plastic bags when you go shopping, bring your own bags. There are a lot of alternatives to not use plastic you just need to commit to it. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Problems caused by Plastics by Sydney is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Pauline 2 weeks ago

Hey Sydney! I loved how many facts you have in your article! I especially enjoyed the second paragraph where you described how plastics came to be! I found an organization called The Ocean Cleanup Foundation they are trying to clean up 50% of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch in 5 years! their website is https://theoceancleanup.com/ and they are definitely worth checking out!!!

2. Austin 2 weeks ago

Hi Sydney! It was so interesting and horrible to hear the amount of plastic that is in the ocean. I think that it is a major problem that plastic could outweigh fish in the future. I appreciate that you care so much about this problem as a teen. I do not think that enough teens care about this issue as much as they should. This effects everyone. In my own experience, something that I have done to limit plastic in the ocean is re-using plastic grocery and sandwich bags. When you said that animals will eat plastic thinking it is food that hit hard with me. It is horrible that humans are harming other species indirectly, and most people do not even know it.

3. Anna C 2 weeks ago

Hi Sydney! I am working on a recycling project at my high school and am trying to increase awareness surrounding the importance of recycling. I was shocked that “billions of pounds of plastic can be found in swirling convergences that make up about 40 percent of the world’s ocean surfaces.” Even though my high school is a small fraction of the world, we could still have a small impact by learning how to correctly dispose of waste. In the future, if we continue at this rate of carbon emission and waste production, we will live in a society in which natural disasters are the norm. I appreciate that you included information to back up your claims and presented the consequences of our plastic waste.

• Anna C 2 weeks ago

Also, do you have any advice for influencing teens to recycle? Informing students of the problem and consequences may not be enough.

4. Sami 2 weeks ago

Hey Sydney! A really well done and informative piece you put together here. It’s unfortunate these marine animals cannot discern their own food sources from these plastics in our water bodies. I was just wondering how the plastics get their in the first place. Could this mainly be a problem of littering and litter making its way into our oceans?

If the above is not the case, maybe we could dive deeper and say that this problem is caused by faultiness in our waste management systems. Although plastic creation and consumption is increasing, it should be the jobs of these systems to dispose of it in a safe manner.

Anyways, it’s a shame we have to worry about this problem in the first place.

5. 2020 Sophia Ewing 2 weeks ago

Hey Sydney! I found your article both informative yet depressing because of the facts. When you said that plastic will outweigh the fish population by 2050, that made me lose hope for the future. We have to do something now to fix out plastic problems. Here is a link I found about plastic and the effects it has on the fish population. https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/articles/2018/09/24/plastic-pollution-affects-sea-life-throughout-the-ocean

• Sami 2 weeks ago

Very Cool, thank you

6. Emma 3 weeks ago

Hi Sydney! I am doing a research assignment on recycling and the effects of plastic on our oceans. I liked what you said about how plastic was made to be durable but not breakable which is why its used so often in such everyday items. Plastic water bottles, for example, are often used just once and thrown in the trash because its the most convenient. If people like you and me continue to share the hard facts about pollution, I think that we could make a big difference! What steps do you suggest taking next if I am trying to influence and educate the people in my community about recycling?

7. Katie 4 weeks ago

Hi sydney I really enjoyed reading this! That is very sad that plastic is making up 40 percent of our ocean surface. But I think you had some good facts in here and helped me be more educated on this topic. I found this really interesting article about plastic affecting our oceans. https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/ocean_plastics/

• Sami 2 weeks ago

Read this article Katie and I can agree that it is really interesting. It seems that the Sydney (creator of this post) already saw this article as they quoted it a couple times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!