In regards to schools making students wear a uniform, I disagree with the idea that it makes schools safer. The main issue that I see from everyone dressing the same is in regards to the student and their ability to express themselves as they choose to. Students should have the ability to dress as they choose too. Having the ability to be comfortable and confident would, in my opinion would boost confidence and allow others to get an idea of your personality, because it shows a great deal in how you dress. Also the idea that it decreases bullying is not true, just because all the students dress the same does not mean that bullies will act any different because not everyone looks the same in a uniform and some look better than others that’s just how it is.

I read another article in favor of the matter and i still disagree after reading. One thing that I definitely did not agree with is the idea that it makes getting ready in the morning easier. This personally wouldn’t be a problem for me especially because I wear a lot of the same type of clothes just with different variations that usually match. I think this is the case for most people and you can always just pick it out the night before as well. I would rather go through the process of finding a tshirt and a pair of pants that I like a lot more than picking of the same uniform everyday, id feel more confident and be able to express myself.

In regards that it makes everyone look the same and evens out the playing field for everyone, that is not the case. Someone will always have nicer shoes, or wear jewelry that is nicer than someone else. There is no way to fully grasp this, and I am glad to see that some people still give their own flare and style to the uniform because i do as well. Back in regards to the lack of expression, i feel like schools already have too much control of their students so adding rules about what they look like everyday is unnecessary.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should students wear uniforms? by Dakota is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Hannah 2 days ago

Hi Dakota! I really enjoyed reading your article about why uniforms should not be required. It was really interesting to read how you looked at both sides of the argument and still disagreed with students having to wear a uniform. I personally really enjoy wearing a uniform because it is easier for me. Maybe you could look into how preferences in uniforms varies with different genders or maybe why uniforms are used in different settings/locations. I liked how you got personal in your reasoning, it was easy to connect with you. I really resonated with you when you said “I would rather go through the process of finding a t-shirt and a pair of pants that I like a lot more than picking of the same uniform everyday, id feel more confident and be able to express myself.” I personally feel uncomfortable in the uniform and feel that I would be able to show myself and boost my confidence in my own clothing. This is a very relevant argument for students that go to Judge, it was interesting to hear your own unique opinion and thoughts on the issue.

2. Amani 6 days ago

Hello. I agree with everything you are saying,I believe that uniforms strip people from expressing who they are. I believe that everyone should be able to express themselves with clothing and that they shouldn’t be limited to only having to wear uniforms. Uniforms can also be very expensive and uncomfortable for some people as well. It’s unfair to the people who have to pay for those uniforms only to hear that they are uncomfortable and not worth what they paid for. Here is an article explaining the pros and cons of wearing uniforms that I think will go well with your argument (https://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/school-uniforms/).

3. Sam 1 week ago

Dak, you’re a genius. I very much agree with your points, especially where you say, ” The main issue that I see from everyone dressing the same is in regards to the student and their ability to express themselves as they choose to”. This is a great point that most people don’t think about. All great great stuff here.

4. Jonathan 1 week ago

Hey Dakota, I think you make a lot of good points about how uniforms restrict people from being able to express themselves. With the quote of how “Someone will always have nicer shoes, or wear jewelry that is nicer than someone else” is very true. The idea that it will break the barrier of students with different amounts of money is not true. It can be hard for people to afford uniforms and simply just wearing what they already own would be easier.I believe this link will provide some more ideas on uniforms. https://connectusfund.org/20-disadvantages-and-advantages-of-school-uniforms. I have observed that kids are much more happy when they are comfortable wearing what they want to wear and are more positive then when they are forced to wear certain clothing. I think it would be interesting to see if grades, positivity, and happiness went up if kids who had uniforms got to wear free dress and how personal expression effects everyones ability to learn.

5. Ellie 1 week ago

Kota, it is interesting to see your viewpoint on the school uniform policy as it directly applies to us and other students at Judge. I agree with you when you say “Someone will always have nicer shoes, or wear jewelry that is nicer than someone else. There is no way to fully grasp this, and I am glad to see that some people still give their own flare and style to the uniform because i do as well. ” I believe that fashion is a way of personal expression and should be respected. Here is an article that you might want to review. https://school-uniforms.procon.org. I’ve read that school uniforms increase a sense of school spirit and is a great way to advertise the school outside of the school community. I would love to hear more from you addressing the main points in regards to school spirit and advertisement. Great job!

6. Emma 1 week ago

Dakota, I’m am interested in hearing your proposal for a revised dress code/uniform policy. Uniforms are a big issue in schools across America. I have talked to a wide variety of people on this issue mainly because going to a catholic school naturally directs the conversation towards uniforms in general. A surprising amount of people hold a positive attitude towards uniforms, but people also express several grievances regarding the uniform policy. For instance, one boy said he liked the idea of having a full variety of uniform options that were considerable comfortable, and I agree. One of my best friends cannot go a day wearing a fashionable outfit because she feels comfortable expressing herself in her clothes. It is hard to say what is right or wrong. But one thing seems to be apparent: by no means should schools enforce uniforms as a form of punishment or even to engrain discipline in students and I am sure many private schools do. You responded well to the opposing side’s argument. I don’t think the free dress would promote bullying or hierarchy among economic classes. Some kids consider free dress a stress reliever and others that consider it a burden.

7. Siqi 2 weeks ago

Hi. I think wearing uniform is not necessary any more. Because in the school spirit shop, there are a lot of looks of the uniforms. And due to the weather condition, they can wear any kinds of uniforms they want to keep themselves warm. So more and more students are getting up with the joneses about whose uniforms are better or more expensive. Therefore students will waste a lot of time on this.

8. Kaya 2 weeks ago

Hey Dakota. I really like your view on the school uniform. I believe a lot of what you believe due to this. I believe that uniforms take away from the student because they are not able to express who they are fully. Another issue with uniforms is how uncomfortable they can be, and making someone wear it for a good majority of their week in unfair. I found another great article (https://vittana.org/22-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-school-uniforms) that points out more of the pros and cons with uniforms which could be very useful in your topic.