In the article regarding animal testing, I learned that animals don’t necessarily need to be tested as there are other ways to get human necessities-without doing so through means of testing. Not only is it dangerous to innocent animals, but also very expensive due to the tools utilized and substances examined. As a matter of fact, the testing costs as much or even more than private school tuition!  Many countries are banning the use of animals because they are being killed at the end of the experiment, potentially harming the species being tested due to deprivation from sleep, food, water, interaction with other animals and species, but overall from living a sustained life. On the other hand, the taxpayers and government are supporting the animal cruelty occurring in labs due to the research budget allocated: “Much of this cruelty is supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), which allocates 40% of its annual research budget to animal experiments. Based on the NIH’s 2010 budget, this accounts for more than $16 billion” (Terrance, 2011). https://www.change.org/p/petition-reduction-of-animal-testing-to-reduce-government-waste-at-tax-payers-expense

By being captivated in labs, they are being imprisoned against their will. This process is also physically painful and torturous to endure, and if they live, the substances can later negatively affect their health: “Right now, millions of mice, rats, rabbits, primates, cats, dogs, and other animals are locked inside barren cages in laboratories across the country. They languish in pain, suffer from extreme frustration, ache with loneliness, and long to be free.

Instead, all they can do is sit and wait in fear of the next terrifying and painful procedure that will be performed on them. The complete lack of environmental enrichment and the stress of their living situation cause some animals to develop neurotic types of behavior such as incessantly spinning in circles, rocking back and forth, pulling out their own fur, and even biting themselves. After enduring a life of pain, loneliness, and terror, almost all of them will be killed” (PETA, Animal Testing 101). https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-experimentation/animal-testing-101/ 

Other factors include drugs and chemicals injected into them and being euthanized, making the pain less, but potentially becoming more perilous later on. I feel that they should be out and about in the wilderness, not getting tested and killed in labs, just because somebody wants cute animal printed clothing and cosmetics to show off. 

As a people, we can make this change by purchasing cruelty-free items when shopping and using our donation money towards non-experimental agencies. Another way is joining an interest group that deals and addresses this change such as PETA, an organization assisting to create a safe environment for all endangered animals. In summary, we can make a mark on the prevention of animal testing because I believe that animals have equal rights just as humanity does. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 How is the government going to stop the production and ban the use of animal testing? by Aria is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Italia 4 days ago

Aria, this is such an important topic in this day and age. It is also a very topic to talk about, only because there are two very different and defiant sides to the topic. It’s hard to find a source that is unbiased. If you’re having trouble doing so, I would just suggest using two different sources on both ends of the spectrum. For example, this article https://www.crueltyfreeinternational.org/why-we-do-it/alternatives-animal-testing could help! This post reminds me of all the advertisements for cruelty-free testing since it’s very informative. Do you think there’s something citizens who are interested and eager on this subject can do to help? I’d love to learn about citizen-driven movements against animal cruelty!

2. Abraham 6 days ago

I thought it was interesting how you wrote about a subject that really isn’t talked about. There are definitely other ways to conduct experiments without abusing animals. We have new and advanced technologies such as simulations that can conduct experiments more efficiently and will cause less harm. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19453215/ . This is a short article that speaks about replacing animals and using simulations instead.

3. Abbey 6 days ago

I really love that you’re talking about such an important topic and I can tell you really took the time to research and care about the issue. Most animal experimentation is extremely unethical and not relevant to humans, more people should fight and advocate for animals rights.

4. Olivia 1 week ago

I really liked how you brought cost into the argument and how you stated that animal testing can cost as much as “a private school tuition.” I completely agree that it is wrong to test on animals. Do you think factual arguments or moral arguments are more effective in creating change? Here is an article that states the laws in place about animal testing https://aldf.org/article/federal-laws-and-agencies-involved-with-animal-testing/ this might be a good place to start to see where there needs to be change. I would love to know more about what laws are being created to protect animals from harmful testing.

5. Angeth 1 week ago

I really like this subject on animal cruelty and there are so many layers that can be talked about. I think your article is amazing but its missing certain layers. here a link( https://www.crueltyfreeinternational.org ) that goes into more detail on the subject and also talks about other perspectives on animal cruelty. Which I think would really help you creatively to go deeper with this topic.

6. Timothy 2 weeks ago

Aria, I agree with your statement and I believe that there should be better ways to provide test results without harming animals. We need to find a better alternative such as testing cells. Here is a link that provides further information: https://animal-testing.procon.org/ .

7. Yanna 2 weeks ago

Animal experiments are certainly inevitable at the current stage of scientific development and need to be used in large quantities, but as technology develops, it must be banned, which is also inevitable. If we stop the animal experiment, who will stop the real killer? Such as smallpox, rubella.