We live in a society where we are expected to go to college straight out of high school. Many people don’t end up paying off their student loans until late into their adulthood. Bigger bucks are spent when students go into college having no exposure to what career they want to pursue. Although many don’t know what they want to do for their entire lives, students often jump into a major to avoid the disapproval of going to a ‘less prestigious’ state or community school or being undecided. This eventually leads to students switching majors and having to spend more time in and money on college causing extended student loans. Is the education of a college or university worth the price tag?

Consumer Reports has partnered with the Center for Investigative Reporting to show the truth about college education and its cost. There are 45 million borrowers who collectively owe more than $1.5 trillion in student loan debt. Friedman from Forbes highlights that “this is the second-highest amount of dept in the country behind the mortgage.” 45% of people paying off their student loans say their education wasn’t worth the cost and of this percentage, “38% didn’t even graduate,” and 61% of college students didn’t even graduate in four years. This is usually due to changing your major or taking classes that don’t apply to the major the student eventually chooses. But should an 18-22-year-old really know what they are going to do for the next 45+ years?

Having a college education is good for society, having educated voters, workers, developers all helps to advances our country. However, the price tag is most commonly not worth the education. This is why it is important that the issue is highlighted and we make a change. Some suggestions have been offered but no solution has been developed. For example, the idea of an affordable college or even free college is a topic of interest for the country. Free college is really important for the lower class because without it they will never have the same opportunity for a good education let alone one they won’t be paying for their entire lives if we don’t change the way the system is laid out.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is the price tag of college worth the education? by Lola is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.