Discrimination gives people unequal opportunities to success in eduaction, work place, etc. Moreover, it also hurt institution or people that discriminate against others, when access to education and jobs is not based on performance but race, gender, age,etc, which means they have to admit people with less ability. However, institutionalized discrimination happens more frequently in our life. 

The government constituted laws to reinforce equality, however, they are sometimes far from perfect and has negative impacts. Take Affirmative Action as an example. Vijah Chokal-Ingam, an Indian American, pretended himself as African American to get into the medical school. He explained:” Indian-American with my grades (3.1 GPA) and test scores (31 MCAT) was unlikely to gain admission to medical school, but an African-American with the same grades and test scores had a high probability of admission.” Vijah Chokal-Ingam suggests that “medical schools were discriminating against their Asian-American and white students and in favor of their black and Hispanic applicants”.

Affirmative Action somewhat defeats the purpose of insuring the opportunities of disadvantaged groups since it already promised access to opportunities to certain groups. Is it really fair? A question has been raised:” I assume you’re all on board in making sure people can’t be fired because of their sexual orientation or gender identity? Or is just up to an employer if they want to fire people simply for being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender?” Things like this indeed happen in our life. Certain people would be admitted or won’t be fired just because of their identity. Therefore, laws should be bettered to change this situation.  

CC BY-SA 4.0 Institutionalized discrimination harms the equality of opportunity by Honam is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.