Prejudice and discrimination exist everywhere, and most of the people have experienced these before, or even in the current. Bias is that doing with the inflexible and irrational attitudes and opinions about another group, while discrimination is that behaviors directed against another group. In the article, American Psychological Association, it stated, “Nearly seven in 10 adults (69 percent) in the U.S. report having experienced any discrimination, with 61 percent reporting experiencing day-to-day discrimination, such as being treated with less courtesy or respect, receiving poorer service than others, and being threatened or harassed. Within this report, discrimination is reported across subgroups of adults, including age, race or ethnicity, disability, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity.”

In the beginning, the fundamental issue is on gender, which is especially deep-rooted in the old generation. In our society, females are doomed to be unequal to males in their lives; this thought has existed for a long time and pass on the next and next generation. Therefore, Women always suffer more prejudice and discrimination from this society and surrounding people, no matter in the past or the current. This situation has happened in most countries of the world. Fortunately, our community is gradually changing that women began to stand up and fight for their rights. They want to prove the statement “a male is always better than a female” is wrong by parading and protesting on the street then fixing the law for their rights. 

From the past until so far in the U.S., plenty of tracks except white, primarily black, have fought their rights, so do different faiths. In the article, All Discrimination Is Damaging, Regardless of Race, it mentioned, “Williams asked the participants about the types of discrimination they experienced and how they perceived this treatment. The majority, more than 90%, of all the participants clearly described their definition of unfair and unjust treatment and were quite confident that their past discrimination experiences were valid.” These discriminatory events caused frustrated emotional responses for all the participants, and this finding suggests that regardless of the intention or target of the discrimination, the psychological damage it causes is the same.

Although it becomes much better than in the past by marching, protest, and fixing the laws, prejudice and discrimination still exist in our society. The only thing we can do is to respect all the things surrounding us, even is unfamiliar to us, for we cannot compel others to insert our thoughts to them, which is too immoral. Therefore, we should make people aware of the inconsistencies in their own beliefs and direct them in the right way and thought to solve these contradictions and conflicts.

1. Sasha 8 months ago

*I meant to say I have not experienced as much discrimination from my peers*

2. Sasha 8 months ago

*I have not experienced as much discrimination from my peers*

3. Sasha Conner 8 months ago

Personally I find it to not be very surprising that 61% of American tend to find themselves discriminated against since our nation is primarily made up of minorities. I wonder how many of this statistic are women, and find themselves discriminated against in society. I really like the part of where you mention how this problem came to be and why it seems like discrimination against women tends to be passed down from the older generation. It does seem like eventually women could possibly be seen more as equals, but it will take many more generations to come in order for that to occur. But the future looks bright. I find that the older generation (Boomers) from personal experience have made some discriminating comments about my gender, but our current generation (Gen Z) seem to look at women more as equals to men and I have experience as much discrimination from my peers.

4. Madison 8 months ago

Hi Danny, I think you have some really good points in here. What caught my attention the most was the statistic that 7 in 10 adults in the US reported to have experienced some sort of discrimination. I think this is completely ridiculous and that it is so unfortunate that it’s a true statistic, I personally have been excluded from certain groups or activities for my gender and ethnicity. At the part you said, “The only thing we can do is to respect all the things surrounding us”, it challenged my thinking a little bit. While I think it is true that respect is something a lot of people need to learn, I don’t think it is possible to force everyone to start respecting their surroundings. This may be due to family backgrounds and beliefs or religion, so I think there will always be an imbalance there. I do think that the public can be more educated on the topic of discrimination so they are more aware of its negative impacts, so I agree with your point at the end. Raising awareness through education may be the most effective especially to get more people to respect their surroundings. I personally think there is a lot to be done in order to raise awareness on this issue aside from learning to respect our differences, and that the fact that racism has been prevalent for so long is sickening.