As climate change has become a hot topic in politics and beyond, opposing viewpoints on this issue have had many controversial debates over the past few years. Some claim that climate change is being used as the government’s excuse to limit our personal freedom. As to the opposing side claims that the government’s policies — often referred to as the Green New Deal — is beneficial for us. 

As the media has started focusing on climate change, various interviews have been conducted with a focus on people who promote the idea of climate change. These ideas are repeated throughout the media and politicians may have influenced the media to regulate and dominate our lives. According to climatedepot.com, “NBC News is hyping a report that claims meteorologists are supporting the George Mason and Climate Central effort to promote climate change fears on your nightly weather forecast.” To support this claim, numerous apocalyptic predictions of an imminent end of the world because of climate change have been proven wrong scientifically. Though the authors of this article believe that recycling and stopping pollution is necessary, they believe that it will not lower the Earth’s temperature. 

Though well aware of the opposing side’s concerns regarding the costs of climate change, pro-Green New Dealers state that the costs are already being wasted by inaction. On 6 February, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released findings that climate change impacts in 2018 resulted in 247 deaths and $91billion in damages. If this continues, the US economy would bear more than $500billion per year in costs due to the results of climate change by the end of the century. The government’s Green New Deal would help to reduce climate pollution and long-term liabilities. It would help communities mitigate costly damage by investing in urban green spaces and ultimately reduce the municipalities that tend to shoulder the biggest burdens in emergencies. 

After analyzing two well-written articles, I am in support of the government’s Green New Deal. Afterall, when faced with a problem action is better than inaction. Although some might claim that climate change is a mere political tactic for the government to control our private lives, it is better to be safe than sorry. Under the hypothesis that climate change has a chance of being real, I believe that the Green New Deal will cut down on the costs of climate change.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Climate Change: Inaction vs. Prevention by Ellie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.