In the article “Sweatshops”, the author speaks of the abuses of these factories on their workers. Sweatshops are factories of large corporations that produce large scale production at the cost of their workers well-being. Sweatshop factories violate their workers human rights. The workers in these factories must work long and hard hours in poor conditions, and are paid extremely low wages. These factories are usually located outside of the US to avoid laws that place a standard on minimum wage and working conditions.  While there are many factories like this outside of the US, they still exist within the country. While many consumers pay attention to where their products are coming from, there is still a lack of awareness by many others. Many NGOs and other advocacy groups try to bring awareness to consumers. On the contrary, many believe that these sweatshops help countries compete in the global economy to better their situation.

The article “Banning Sweatshops Only Hurts the Poor” explains how these factory jobs help the poor and that if they were to be banned they would be left with nothing. The article states that boycotts only harm these workers because it leaves them without a job and income to support their families. This article states that sweatshop factories help the poor and the global economy. It states that these factories promote the development of the country by allowing them to compete in the global economy and that they are only seen as harmful by those privileged enough to be living in the developed world. The article also states that the workers in these factories are working by choice and that these jobs are necessary for their survival, even when it comes to child labor. Their wages are low by the standards of the developed world, but in a developing country it that provide them and their families with an income. While working conditions may be low, it is unrealistic to hold them to the standards we expect in the US because they are still developing. While sweatshops do help the developing countries compete in the global economy, the cost of the workers human right is too high a price to pay for the outcome the impoverished people recieve.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Sweatshops by Viviana is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.