The article “Standardized Tests Provide Valuable Indicators of Students Potential” by Jack Buckley, the senior vice president of research and evaluation at the American Institutes for Research, is about the research of how valid standardized testing is when accepting kids into college. He believes that test scores, combined with gpa, has significant validity in how a person will do in college. Buckley goes on to say that if schools were to just rely on gpa, and not test scores, it would be implausible. He backs these points up with facts from research he has done on the topic. He says that new research has shown “Grades have been on the rise for the last 20 years, while SAT scores have remained relatively steady.” Here, he is saying that since gpas have been on the rise, in mostly white high schools, it would not be fair or possible to measure a student’s academic performance. If all of the gpas are getting higher, then they need something else to decipher a student from the big group. Test scores do that. https://hechingerreport.org/opinion-standardized-tests-offer-a-neutral-yardstick-in-college-admissions/

On the other hand, there are people who believe standardized testing shouldn’t even be a factor at all when accepting kids in to a school. Nicholas Tampio wrote the article “Commentary: Time to Ditch the SAT.” Nicholas Tampio is an associate professor of political science at Fordham University in New York City and author of Common Core: National Education Standards and the Threat to Democracy. He believes the SAT should be done away with altogether. He claims that it “…is incumbent upon Americans to find other ways to measure student learning and facilitate the college admissions process.” He too has done extensive research on the topic and provides links in his paper to the sources he used. One point he uses to back up his claim is that the test does not measure the abilities of students, each with their own different strengths and talents. Another thing he says is that kids do not take the time to learn. They are just trying to answer as many questions right-they aren’t using actual thinking when trying to find an answer. They aren’t analyzing the passages. He says, “They were taught not to read the passage in its entirety or think about or appreciate what they were reading; the goal is to answer as many questions correctly in the time allotted.” He believes that they can find an alternative way to teach children to become energetic citizens rather than stressed out, standardized test takers. https://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/articles/2018-04-13/commentary-time-to-ditch-the-sat

Although both articles make very good points, I tend to lean towards the second one. I also believe that standardized testing should be less of a factor when determining the acceptance of a student to universities. I agree with Tampio’s statements when he talks about how the test does not actually teach students any information. It teaches them how to be good test takers–they aren’t actually learning and comprehending the information. I do see the points that article one is making as well though. I understand when it says without test scores, it is hard to set students apart from one another. I personally believe that they should look at extracurriculars, course rigor, etc. Overall, the admissions process can be a very difficult and controversial thing that is going to take time to evolve. 

1. rachelgoodpaster 2 weeks ago

Hello,

I think that standardized testing is a good idea to see where the children are at, but it should not be used to help them get into schools, for their grades, or in combination with SAT scores. These tests should be used by teachers to see where their class is, what they have mastered, and what topics need more clarification.

What does everyone else think?