I am a senior at Judge Memorial and the editor-in-chief of our student-led newspaper, Bulldog Press. I joined BDP as a sophomore because I have always been drawn to journalism as I love to read and tell stories. Moreover, I wanted to learn more about journalism in the modern world as it is currently under scrutiny. As a journalist, I would say that I am drawn towards social justice stories and I enjoy writing about topical issues. I also enjoy highlighting student achievements and or the achievements of alumni through profile stories. 

I love to read. When I was younger all I did was read books and I think that my love of reading was what ultimately led me to pursue journalism in high school. I figured since I enjoyed hearing other people’s stories, why shouldn’t I start telling stories myself? Additionally, I like to believe that I am a good writer. I have always enjoyed writing and felt as if it was an effective way of expressing myself. I still have a long way to go before I am the writer I one day hope to be, however, I make an effort to improve every day.  

My burning questions cover a multitude of topics. My most successful stories have focused on STEM topics, for example, my piece called Spider Goats was published by PBS Newshour. Nonetheless, I am primarily interested in issues of social justice as well as mental health issues. Somewhat unrelated, I know, but both topics constantly plague my thoughts. In regard to social justice issues, I am interested in women’s rights, civil rights, the criminal justice system, and political issues. Last year, I wrote an opinion piece about local legislation and discovered my passion for writing about politics and social issues.  If I could interview anyone, it would Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg. Justice Ginsburg is such an inspiration to me as she is extremely intelligent, driven, and outspoken. Mental health has always interested me because it has impacted many of my loved ones and peers. I am curious as to current research being conducted about mental health as well as possible solutions and or coping methods. In the future, I hope to write more stories about these topics and work to make our newspaper even better than it is now. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Amaia’s Journalist Bio by Horyna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Emily 2 weeks ago

Dear Amaia:

I am intrigued by your post “Amaia’s Journalist Bio” because of your determination to write real, raw, and topical stories covering societal issues. I believe that we as high school journalists often get lost in writing about what’s happening immediately around us (that new teacher, a club’s service project, or a win in a sporting event). And though those stories are all important to cover, we oftentimes forget to also unpack those large, pressing societal issues.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I still have a long way to go before I am the writer I one day hope to be, however, I make an effort to improve every day. ” I think this is awesome because even though you are an editor-in-chief, I can see that you are humble and committed to continuing to grow as a writer and an editor. It believe that it’s so so so important to never stop learning, and I love seeing that you value that as well!

Another part of your piece that I noticed was your interest in writing out of the box STEM oriented stories. Getting published by PBS Newshour is a huge accomplishment! I took a look at your “Spider Goats” story and learned a lot about genetic engineering and the study of spiders silk!

Have you seen this scientific advancement that is working to cure cancer using programmed “nanobodies”?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/03/science/cancer-bacteria-immune-system.html As you have an interest in the STEM field and a passion for learning about new scientific advancements, I thought I’d link it here for you!

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because of your desire to write about important societal issues! I’m excited to see the unique and impactful stories that you post this coming year!