The first article perspective I’ve read was Pro-Life Women Do Not Want Reproductive Rights by Rachel Lu. One major claim she makes is Pro-life women look at America’s abortion rate and don’t think that women should be the ones to choose whether or not they should keep their child or not. The author supports this claim by showing the latest stats from the center for disease control and prevention which in 2014, 652,639 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 49 reporting areas. The abortion rate for 2014 was 12.1 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 186 abortions per 1,000 live births. Because the stats are so high is makes it hard for pro-life people to look at this and be okay with this many deaths. The author also claims that the rates are so high because women can quote on quote “be selfish, prioritizing personal goals over the very life of another human being.” While other women who get abortions claim that they have late-term abortions due to personal health issues and if the baby has issues also.

The second article I read on abortions was Yes, I do want your taxes to pay for abortion by Moira Donegan. The author states that “the Hyde amendment is not a law so much as a tradition it is a provision that is attached to the annual appropriations bill that dictates funding for the Department of Health and Human Services.”  The hyde amendment bans any federal money from paying for abortions. But only eligible women can obtain federal money to cover her abortion if she can prove that her pregnancy resulted in rape, incest or if the pregnancy can result in her life being taken away. The biggest group hyde targets are Medicaid recipients. These women are already poor, to begin with, and now have fewer resources to pay for her abortion. The author claims that Abortion access is a precious public good that is necessary for women to be complete citizens, truly equal in freedom and opportunity to men. Ending Hyde is the boldest and most compassionate step we can take to protect it.

To conclude, I see the two viewpoints equally and respectfully, I can see where they are coming from. I don’t believe in late-term abortions as article Pro-Life Women Do Not Want Reproductive Rights by Rachel Lu, talks about. I morally don’t think we should be killing infants that have grown that big unless there is a very good reason in doing so I still believe abortions should be legal and readily accessible to women because it is a choice and a right. Like in article Yes, I do want your taxes to pay for abortion by Moira Donegan it’s a necessity for women to be truly equal in freedom and opportunity to men. So I stand on both sides of the argument but I will always choose freedom and equality overall and to me, pro-choice stands for that more, therefore, I’m more so on the pro-choice argument side of the argument.

Cites

Lu, Rachel. “Pro-Life Women Do Not Want Reproductive Rights.” Gale Opposing Viewpoints Online Collection, Gale, 2019. Gale In Context: Opposing Viewpoints, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/IVSPZO594682750/OVIC?u=onlinelibrary&sid=OVIC&xid=4bbe3d4c. Accessed 24 Oct. 2019. Originally published as “Some women don’t want reproductive rights. I’m one of them,” The Week, 14 Feb. 2018.

https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/IVSPZO594682750/OVIC?u=onlinelibrary&sid=OVIC&xid=4bbe3d4c

Donegan, Moira. “Yes, I do want your taxes to pay for abortion.” Gale Opposing Viewpoints Online Collection, Gale, 2019. Gale In Context: Opposing Viewpoints, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/LEGREW783977919/OVIC?u=onlinelibrary&sid=OVIC&xid=c46fc918. Accessed 24 Oct. 2019. Originally published as “Yes, I do want your taxes to pay for abortion,” The Guardian, 3 Dec. 2018.

https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/LEGREW783977919/OVIC?u=onlinelibrary&sid=OVIC&xid=c46fc918

racism photo

CC BY-SA 4.0 Pro-Life or Pro-choice by Angeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.