In light of this issue, a team of reporters sought to pinpoint several factors that contribute to poor mental health in the work field in an academic journal. The group aims to improve and harmonize the work field. Work stressors, such as psychological and organizational demands (e.g., work pace, time pressure, the complexity of work, and different tasks), are to blame mental disorder affecting employees on a large scale. Business costs and mental health are positively correlated variables concerning levels of productivity and number of sick days, among other trends. Indeed mental disorders are widely accepted as a public health risk.

This is why businesses, corporations and organizations have begun changing their work environment to better fit their employees needs. Canada has already seen progress in their proposed policy. Because 500,000 Canadians are unable to work due to mental illness and 6.7 million people suffer from mental health problems, Canada has been working with employers to ensure employees’ mental health. Canada’s National Standard partnered with corporations, private investors, and organizations have developed guidelines, tools, and resources for people suffering in the workplace. Louise Bradley, the president and CEO of the Mental Health Commission of Canada, acknowledges the workplace is not the root of the mental health epidemic. Still, it can be part of the solution.

While this is not a preventative measure, Canada’s action is showing promise and will hopefully inspire other countries, and employers will adopt similar practices. 

Bradley is right, these programs represent a significant step in the right direction, but we also need to discuss precautions regarding social media, education, and economics, for they also contribute to poor mental health implications. As problems, such as this one, arise, nations around the world must adequately address these issues by formulating innovative solutions. We began opening up and formulating solutions for the mental health epidemic, now we can begin implementing ideas into society.

CC BY-SA 4.0 A Step in the Right Direction for Mental Health by Emma is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. lani h 1 day ago

I found it very interesting to learn that they are starting to make a step to the touchy subject that is mental health. I remember reading about how a school in Utah is starting to incorporate Mental Health days. This will allow students to take the day off to reassure that they are safe and can take time to themselves without the stress of school. How do you think this idea relates to workers and the idea of a better space for them? Do you think this would be a good steps in other environments such as work?
    Furthermore, you say “Louise Bradley, the president and CEO of the Mental Health Commission of Canada, acknowledges the workplace is not the root of the mental health epidemic. Still, it can be part of the solution.” I am confused and was wondering if you have any information about how they will change work spaces to help solve mental health for workers. Maybe workplaces can offer a therapist to help allow workers to know they have a safe place at their jobs? I know this has been a continued idea for school districts to incorporate so it may be beneficial for companies to start looking into this idea as well.