I’m interested in the topic of immigration in the United States. The area in which I decided to start was on the baseline rules in coming into the US. First focusing on Visa and the Visa Waiver Program. The ESTA under the Visa Waiver Program is something that you apply for if you are a citizen in one of the 38 countries listed. This allows one to enter the United States without a visa to stay for less than 90 days. 

Countries that apply:

• Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Chile
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  •  Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

If you don’t apply for this program or are staying for longer than 90 days, another option is to apply for a visa. There are business visas for Mexico and Canada, student visas, permanent residence visa, transit visa, visitor visa, and fiance visa to marry and live in the US. 

When it comes to entrance into the US for permanent residence, it depends on where you are when you apply.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Immigration: A controversy of the ages by Natalie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.