By: Aida pablo

The objects in this shadow box represent my true self and my counter narrative and the objects outside represent Dominant Narratives. When people look at me they think that I  am a weak girl because of my gender and that I do not put in a lot of effort in my classes, I have low grades, do drugs, that I am dum, and that I am a depressed person since the 8th grade. I included some significant objects in my shadow box which represent my counter narratives in my life. One of them is a rosary beads adding on I also have a key chain of the virgin and jesus to represent that my parents are so into the religion. I also have an object which shows how Guatemala i important and included a handmade wallet from Guatemala from my grandmother and these represent ethnicityI also used a picture of me when I was a little girl this picture represents me that I am always so happy and that I am never depressed and that shows how people are always assuming that I am always depressed in life. I also have photos of an ultrasound which represent that I am going to be the second oldest. My name means happy, returning, helper, and distinguished. Well I put my name in my shadow box because I like my name and the meaning it was also a unique name which not that many people have. I also have a drawing of a rose which represent that I love drawing I also have a bracelet which represent that I love being creative. The flowers and the color inside my shadow box represents that I am free and an outgoing person in life. Many people assume that I am dum weak worthless useless just because of my race and who I am in life. That is the counter narratives that I hope I represent in my shadow box.

1. Christine Manasan 5 months ago

Hello Aida!

My name is Christine from San Jose State University. I admire what you have said in your post because not a lot of people understand who you truly are until you say something. You know who you truly are and you have expressed that in your shadow box and post. One thing that you have said in your post that I really like is that the flowers and colors in your shadow box represent that you are free and outgoing. It reminds me of people being like flowers and that their purpose is to grow and put color into peoples’ lives!
    Thank you 🙂

2. Neyzer 11 months ago

Dear, Aida

I am proud of your shadow box because it looks good. Your shadow box looks good because it shows dominant and counter-narratives. It also shows a lot of your culture you like flowers and drawings. Thanks for letting me comment on your shadow box.