This Shadow Box represents my Counter Narratives. When people look at me, they see a young male that looks comforting in the places he goes because of  how he smiles. This is connected to me and are my assigned Identities. I see myself as a young, hard working male that loves to do many activities such as hiking, rock climbing, swimming, exploring, and bike riding. I chose to include all the items that I discussed because it explains a large amount about my Chosen Identities and because I love participating in these activities. All this is important to me because people can see my life inside that shadow box and the activities that I do. From the inside, I added all the important objects about me which are Counter Narratives, while the Dominant Narratives are on the outside which shows about people’s assumptions about us Mexican people. Although I have many struggles in my life, I find a way to solve them, and this is one way. Welcome to my shadow box.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Countering Assumptions by Armando is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Angel 4 weeks ago

Dear Armando Gonzales
    I am proud of your work “Countering Assumptions”, because you put good grades and a Rubiks cube to show your self to people that Mexicans are smart and can actually be successful in life. Something else that stood out to me was the bike and rock climbing because you don’t really see Mexicans rock climbing or ridding a bike instead there seen as farm workers who work in the hot sun dying and never experiencing their life to the fullest. One part of your art that stood out to me was the dream catcher because as you told me it was shown to take all the hate and dominant narratives to get turned into counter narratives, which was very clever of you to do. Your artwork reminds me of something I made once. One time I got bullied by being called names and for being colored because people thought I was dumb and worthless. I’ve been judged based of from where I live, being Oakland. They think just because I’m from Oakland that I’m a killer who likes to hurt people for fun, which I all put in my box to show that we colored people get oppressed for no reason only for our color and living areas. Thanks for your art work. I look forward to seeing what you make next, because I want to see what else you can do besides creating a good piece of art. something that I want to see next time I check up on you is another piece of art that can make me say “wow”.