Being American means different things to different people. Being American to me means having freedom, equality of genders and race, and living your American Dream. I believe the Bill of Rights shows the basic freedoms of an American. There are multiple examples of equality and the American dream just by reading or watching the news. 

The Bill of Rights includes the first ten amendments. I believe the most important amendment is the first. The first amendment states that, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances” (The Constitution). This means that the government has no right to deny us our main five freedoms that every American has. 

During this time in the 21st century there has been many events tying to equality of gender and race. Some of the biggest events that took place that helped gender equality was, the first female to become selected to run for president by a big party in 2016. As of right now race equality is being pushed to be more equal. In the past months there has been multiple aggressive arrest by white cops against African Americans. Some people are even judged or not given a fair chance because of their race. 

Another thing that makes us American is that we believe and try to reach our own American dreams. Everyone has their own dream, but everyone makes it to their dream their own way. No two people have had the same path to their dream. I think people come to the U.S because they heard about how people have reached their dreams. Everyone has a chance to make it in America, but not everyone has an equal chance. 

Work Cited

Dann, Carrie. “Hillary Clinton Becomes First Female Nominee of Major U.S. Political Party.” NBCNews.com, NBCUniversal News Group, 27 July 2016, www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-conventions/hillary-clinton-becomes-first-female-nominee-major-u-s-political-n617406.

U.S. Constitution. Amend I. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 What does it mean to be American? by Benjamin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lauren 4 weeks ago

Ben, I enjoyed reading your Article. Mine is similar to yours in the Freedoms respect. I agree that our first amendment is our most important being able to say and express what we feel without being penalized for it. I also agree that something that defines America would be that we work to be successful and have what we want. We don’t just get the money we earn the money. I believe another important factor to being American is our patriotism. We have gone through a lot over the years and we fought to be independent and to have the rights discussed above, so being proud to be American is another factor that stands out in every area. For example, in almost every sports and other events it starts with the national anthem. Everybody pays respect to the flag and sings the lyrics with such pride. For me personally I have heard the national anthem more times than I can count and it still gives me chills to this day. I believe the songs describes America’s fight and how we have overcome issues to be where we are today. Anyway, thank you for your time!

2. Brendon 4 weeks ago

Ben, overall I really enjoy your essay. I like how you included the Bill of Rights and more specifically the first amendment. One critique that I have is you may want to stay away from using statements like “I believe”, “I think”, etc. Besides that this essay was well written. I think you could’ve included The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian in your essay as a third source that could’ve made your argument tighter. That novel includes a lot of content about prejudice and equality which may have benefitted you. I also agree with your opening sentence “Being American means different things to different people.” I wrote something similar in my response and I also believe that that is a very important part of being an American.