American values, cultures, and creed can be interpreted in many different ways by very different people. This is what makes America, America. One thing that is very prevalent in American culture, is the freedoms we have, this is one of the most defining things about America. It can be seen in defining American documents like The Bill of Rights. These freedoms have been challenged by the current problems we face. Gun control is at the forefront of these problems. How do we embrace our freedoms and liberties, but also protect the safety of our country?

To some people the right to have a gun and protect yourself Is very interwoven with being an American, some may even say owning a gun is as essential to our idea of an American as the freedom of speech, of the press, and of religion. Rachel Segal compares gun owners’ beliefs on guns to their reluctance to new and harsher gun laws in her article  “Which Gun Policies Could prevent Mass Shootings”. She says “there’s the risk that certain proposed background checks may require government databases to keep gun owners’ personal information indefinitely. This could lead to future database searches unrelated to the information when it was first collected”(Segal) this could invade on gun owner’s privacy in a way that isn’t fair. Lauren Frias talks about possible answers to this issue in her article “Which Gun Control Policies Could Prevent Mass Shootings, According to a Gun Violence Expert”. She believes universal background checks can sometimes be unreliable. She says. “…that there are several incremental holes in the implementing the policy that could still allow potential mass shooters to obtain a weapon, according to a VPRP study” (Frias).

Gun control is a very current issue that has been in the news very often. Later in her article, Segal talks about gun control and says “…it will take more than universal background checks and extreme risk protection orders to prevent future mass shootings”( Segal ) she implies that this issue probably has to be solved by changing our views on some of our rights. We have the ability to protest and bring about change to our government, but how do we do this while also upholding our core American values? In Rachel Segal’s article, “Is There a Need for Tighter Gun Control?” she explains that “Gun control proponents aren’t interested in taking away citizens’ guns. They cheer the Second Amendment”(Segals) she argues that people who advocate for gun control aren’t trying to take away people’s rights they just want to interpret the amendment in a way that is relevant to the time and keep guns out of the hands of people who want to cause destruction. Segals insists “ Research asserts that federal checks could cut gun deaths by an estimated 90%

This recent problem has brought us to the question of how do we uphold our American rights but also ensure the safety and prosperity of our country. This question can be answered by many different people and they can have contrasting ideas about it. This brings me back to my main point on what an American truly is. Americans aren’t just one idea or philosophy, we are the combination of all different philosophies and points of view. 

Works cited

Frias, Lauren. “Which Gun Control Policies Could Prevent Mass Shootings, According to a Gun Violence Expert.” Business Insider, Business Insider, 14 Sept. 2019, www.businessinsider.com/gun-violence-expert-gun-control-policies-could-prevent-mass-shootings-2019-9.

Segal, Rachel. “Is There a Need for Tighter Gun Control?” Theperspective.com/, 12 Aug. 2019, www.theperspective.com/debates/living/perspective-on-gun-control/.

CC BY-SA 4.0 How do we hold up these freedoms? by David is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. James 3 weeks ago

There is a saying that I have heard many times regarding this subject, and I believe it truly makes the point. The saying is: “If you outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns.” Because there are so many different ways to obtain a gun, if someone really wants to get one, they are going to find one. Since the statistics all support the finding that the firearms being used in most mass shootings were not registered to the shooter, it is clear that those involved in these horrendous acts of violence are either stealing the guns from others or obtaining them through otherwise unlawful means. This simply illustrates that the current background checks are so full of loopholes that they are ineffective. For instance, private sales between individuals are not subject to requiring a background check. Likewise, if someone burglarizes another person’s home and steals their guns, we can not punish that victim for the bad acts of the burglar. It is a difficult subject which no one has been able to develop a plan which would protect the lawful rights of gun owners, but assure those with unlawful intentions not to have access to the firearms. Perhaps this is a good task for the upcoming generation to tackle by developing “smart gun” technologies that would inhibit the use of guns by anyone other than the registered owner.

2. Nico 1 month ago

Hi David, I enjoyed reading your essay and I agree that America struggles with gun control. What makes it so hard is because it is our 2nd amendment to have the right to have a gun. Although I believe that guns can be a necessity to protect one’s self, it is more important to keep the community safe from future harms. According to ProCon.org, “Gun control laws do not deter crime; gun ownership deters crime” The author states that with the rising percentage of people owning guns in America, the crime rate has decreased. I believe this happens because if you are in a city that outlaws guns strictly, the only people who will have guns are criminals(ProCon.org). The community has nothing to protect themselves from if they were threatened. What I am trying to address is that gun control is a very hard aspect to control because so many people believe that you cannot take their right away from them. How do you think the government should approach gun control more effectively?
    https://gun-control.procon.org/