I am made of yellow and orange house 
On a quiet street in La Troncal, Ecuador
Living with my grandmother, my sister, my brother, and my mom
listening to Sam Smith songs
My room is very big and colorful 
My dad always tells me, “Take care of yourself” 

I am made of together with my sister have a chicken sandwich for breakfast 
My father always says that when I leave school I call him 
I always wait for the 53rd  street train R to arrive 
the school where I study is very large and red 

I am made of dance class in Ecuador, 
Where they teach you to respect each other,
Where the teacher twirled and we watched,
Where I won a prize for my salsa dancing and other moves

I am made of my parents, my grandmothers, my brothers and my uncles
We always support each other despite all the problems we have
The distance between New York and Ecuador, 
Between me and my mother, my grandmothers,
We always tell ourselves that “te quiero mucho

I am made of a girl playing on the large rocks 
next to the blue ocean
A red and white Ferris Wheel 
and Roller Coaster behind the boardwalk
People standing on the soft beach,
children with their parents 

I am made of “Strive to learn the English language”
And “Do not be afraid of what people around you will say.”

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Life in La Troncal, Ecuador by Kerly is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Grant 1 month ago

Dear Allison:
    I am impressed with your poem “My Life in La Troncal, Ecuador,” because it expresses what you are made of very well. Reading about your life in Ecuador was very interesting to me.

One sentence that stands out to me is: “I am made of a girl playing on the large rocks next to the blue ocean.” I think this is excellent because it creates a picture in my mind of the setting you grew up in.

Another sentence that I enjoyed was: “I always wait for the 53rd street train R to arrive.” I think this is important because it brings another aspect to your poem.

Your poem reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I went on a vacation to California. The setting in your story reminded me of that in California. With the big blue ocean near the gigantic rocks, both places are similar in a way.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I really enjoyed this piece. Your descriptions were very compelling and I could imagine your thoughts.