I was born at Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, and have lived at the same house in Okemos for all 18 years of my life. I am a social person, always surrounding myself with friends and family. Growing up with 3 other siblings I have learned how to cope with loving and disliking someone at the same time. The friend group I am a part of has revolved around my love for sports. I have been playing basketball for as long as I can remember and it is my favorite thing to do. All of my closest friends I have made have been from being on sports teams with them. My life has been moderately steady with not too many problems that I couldn’t solve.

I enjoy the challenge and competitiveness that school brings to my life. With 6 courses and a schedule full of extra-curriculars, I do not have many boring moments. My favorite subjects are math and science because I find them the most interesting and I am the best at them. In college I am planning on going into the medical field similar to my dad. He graduated from the University of Michigan which is my dream college.  My parents have always pushed and supported me at school wanting me to always give 100% effort in everything I do and then be satisfied with the results. School has never been a negative thing in my eyes as it presents me with various opportunities.

I disagree with the statement that there are gangs inside of my community. I have never heard of any type of gangs in Okemos and no gang has ever reached out to me. However, I had a friend that used to go to Okemos who was recently shot and killed. He was shot at a park in Lansing which I would consider just outside of my community.  This may or may not have been related to gang activity but it is the only event I could think of. He got involved in the wrong crowd after leaving Okemos and it resulted in him living a risky life. I always feel safe inside of the Okemos Community in which I live in.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Intro To Me by Grant is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Charlotte 1 month ago

I agree that there are no gangs in Okemos, but people can still associate with people outside of Okemos and get involved with gang activity. Falling in with the wrong people could be detrimental to your safety and life.

2. Abbey 1 month ago

Grant,
    I like how you mentioned that you don’t mind school because most teenagers or really anyone would think otherwise.

Grant 4 weeks ago

Thanks for your comment

3. Tyler 1 month ago

Wow. Really sounds like you bonded with your community. I also found it funny when you talked about your siblings and how you don’t always get along. Good luck on getting into Michigan and RIP Taijion.

Grant 4 weeks ago

Thanks for commenting man!