Dear Earth,

I’m sorry

I’m so so sorry

I’m sorry that we’re losing our chance for change

I’m sorry that no one cares enough do so something

I’m sorry that our islands are going underwater

I’m sorry that our coast is sinking

I’m sorry that our icecaps are melting

I’m sorry that our trees are burning

Sorry that our animals are screaming in agony

Sorry that we refuse to listen to their pleas

Sorry that we’re putting the fate of humanity on our children’s shoulders

Sorry that the weight is too much

Sorry that our backs are going to break

Sorry that we’ve stripped your resources down

Sorry that we all seem to have given up

Sorry that we’ve not given this world even a chance to survive 

Sorry for doing everything… And then for refusing to do anything at all…

I’m sorry…

But I shouldn’t have to be…

We shouldn’t have to be,

Because we are not part of the tratorus, tree chopping, root ripping, smoke starting companies trying to turn your beautiful outstretched limbs of branches reaching for the sun, 

into the green pieces of paper we put into our pocket 

Because we are not the politicians putting money into restoring a church that burned down,

And not the rainforest burning to the ground as we speak, tearing down homes, trees and our hopes for a better future…

But that doesn’t mean all hope is lost,

At least not yet

Because we’re not giving up 

At Least not without a fight

Humanity’s been in tough spots before

But we’ve found a way through it 

Because if you haven’t noticed, we’re resilient

We don’t give up

And we never back down from a fight

And right now, we’re fighting for you

And we’ve fought for so much just to be where we are now

So I know, 

We’re going to be okay…

We’re not going to win this war without losing some battles,

But we’ve already lost too many and I refuse to lose any more

And I refuse to believe that the Amazon could be come at least 60 percent dessert 

I refuse to believe that our ice caps are going to disappear

I refuse to believe that the ocean is  going to drown us

I refuse to believe that temperatures will rise so much they break out thermometers

I refuse to believe that there will be an excess of droughts

I refuse to believe that there will be more intense heat waves

I refuse to believe that there will be more devastating hurricanes

I refuse to believe, 

I refuse to believe, after you gave us a 1 in 1,000,000 chance to survive, 

We did, 

And we might just throw that chance away

P.s.

If you don’t give up, then neither will we

-Meghan

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fighting For You by Meghan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tomas 1 month ago

Meghan, I think this poem is very interesting. The way you set up the poem was truly inspirational and moving. The way I see it is that the Earth is here to be our gift, it cannot do wrong, however the people who are supposed to cherish it put it through irreversible damage. We have ruined so many things that the Earth has offered us. We need some change and it needs to start now. I try to do my part as an individual, but we need a complete movement across the world to create a change. These changes affect people, animals, and everything in between, so why shouldn’t we fix the issues. I have researched ways to fix these global environmental changes, and here is a good link to see for yourself: https://www.nrdc.org/stories/how-you-can-stop-global-warming. Your poem perfectly displays this current event, and you make it very personal which adds emotion to your claim. I would love to see more poems or other work in the future.

2. Luka 1 month ago

Its really good!

3. Author
    Meghan 1 month ago

In this assignment, we were supposed to make a version of the poem “Dear Matafele Peinem”. In my poem I decided to write about how the earth is being affected as a whole. But I also tried to keep forests, and more specifically rain forests in the back of my mind so I made sure to at least touch on them. I want this poem to convey the idea that even because we’re part of the problem, we have to be a big part of the solution.