When I was in China, I spoke Chinese All the time, but at that time a lot of people in China wanted to learn English so my school got our class an English teacher that tried to help us learn English. In the English class, there were only four or five people who want to learn English a lot just sitting there waiting for class to end and I was one of them and I was waiting for class to end. In the class, the teacher in the front and use a board to write down the things that we have to know or copy and everyone sits with one partner. In China, usually the partner will only be one boy and one girl there is no like two boys or two girls and that’s because the principal thinks girls can help the boy and girls is more careful than the boys. There like 30 students in that English class and most of them are girls. At that time I don’t really like to learn English and the teacher didn’t know that much English either.

But I like to write in English because I feel like English is easier to write than Chinese. When I was at home I speak a different language, not Chinese, not English, but a dialect of Mandarin called the Wenzhounese and my parents only good at these languages, My father spoke Chinese but my grandparents don’t, They know Chinese but is hard for them to speak so when I was at home I speak to them with Wenzhounese.

CC BY-SA 4.0 A story about learning English by ZhengHao is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Heymi 1 month ago

Dear zhenghao,

I’m happy for your history “A story about learning English” because it’s really interesting because when you were in China you had the opportunity to learn English but you didn’t want to learn English and now you only like to type in English because you think is too easy than Chinese.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “My father spoke Chinese but my grandparents don’t, They know Chinese but is hard for them to speak so when I was at home I speak to them with Wenzhounese.” I think this is important because you couldn’t talk with your parents in English because they weren’t able to understand you so you use to talk with them in a dialect, this reminds me of an experience I had once because when I’m in my bf house his family use to talk in a dialect and im not able to understand what they are saying so i just stay there sitting down and thinking about what to do with my life because i cant laugh with them cause im not even understand them. Lol.

Thanks for you writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i like your some details and want to learn more about china 🙂

2. Heymi 1 month ago

Dear zhenghao i’m happy for your history “A story about learning English” because it’s really interesting because when you was in China you had the opportunity to learn English but you didn’t wanted to learn English and now you only like to type in English because you think is too easy than Chinese. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “My father spoke Chinese but my grandparents don’t, They know Chinese but is hard for them to speak so when I was at home I speak to them with Wenzhounese.” I think this is important because you couldnot talk with your parents in English because they werent able to understand you so you use to talk with them in a dialect, this remains me of an experience I had once because when Im in my bf house his family use to talk in a dialect and im not able to understand what they are saying so i just stay there sitting down and thinking about what do to with my life because i cant laugh with them cause im not even understand them. lol.
    Thanks for you writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i like your some details and want learn more about china 🙂

3. Ceming 1 month ago

great!

4. Heymi 1 month ago

Nice 🙂