My name is William Becker, and I am a sophomore at J.H. Rose High School in Greenville, NC. I am Entertainment Co-Editor for our school’s paper, Rampant Lines, and I am a member of my school’s Science Olympiad team, Spanish Club, and FBLA. Outside of school, I participate in swimming and am Senior Patrol Leader of my Boy Scout troop. Of all these things, one of my favorites is Journalism. Writing is a big hobby of mine, and I enjoy having a class where I can express that. This is my second year participating in the newspaper, and I have greatly enjoyed every minute of it. I first learned about the opportunities Journalism had in store from my sister, who had participated in the class for three of her four high school years. I joined my freshman year as a staff writer and found a previously unknown passion for writing. Fully snared by the excitement and satisfaction this class provided, I returned this year and was promoted to editor.

I would say that my areas of expertise in writing are entertainment and opinion. I’m not necessarily the best at interviewing and interactions, so I’ve always been a bit more inclined toward these types of writing. Within entertainment specifically, I’m best at movies and TV. I’ve developed a special interest in film, and this has carried over to my writing. In my section, you’ll find me mostly writing movie reviews, criticisms, and analyses. The way Rampant Lines works is that you must submit an audition article to become a writer for opinion or entertainment. My freshman year, I auditioned for both opinion and entertainment, and was accepted into opinion. However, there were too few writers for both sections that year, and all writers (including me) in either section ended up writing for both. Using the experience I gained from my freshman semester in Journalism, I applied for Entertainment Co-Editor at the beginning of my sophomore year and was accepted.

I definitely have quite a few burning questions that keep me up at night. I’ll sit in my bed and just think about them for a while. Chief among these questions is this: what’s out there? Looking up at the stars at night, I wonder who or what may be out there. Are we alone? If we aren’t, will we ever even know? Is there someone else out there who knows about us while we remain oblivious? Most of my burning questions fall somewhere along this line. Will they ever be answered in my lifetime? Who knows. If I could interview anybody about anything, I would probably interview my grandmother and grandfather on my mom’s side of the family. By the time I was born, they were both suffering from dementia, and I sadly never got to hear their stories. They had fascinating lives. My grandmother was born in Brazil and worked as a cartographer before coming to the US and becoming a professor. My grandfather was born in New York City and loved to explore, going on excursions such as climbing Mount McKinley. If I could talk to them, I would simply ask to hear their stories from them. I’ve always wanted to know what their lives were like and I wish I could talk with them for just a few minutes. In the meantime, while I think about these questions and possibilities, you can catch me writing movie reviews and my thoughts on climate change in one of my favorite classes: Journalism.   

CC BY-SA 4.0 Writing, Life, and Me: My Journalist Bio by William is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Isabella 5 days ago

Dear William,
    I am very moved by your post, “Writing, Life, and Me: My Journalist Bio,” because getting into Entertainment and Opinion, as a freshmen, is so remarkable! It is really cool that you are interested in film!
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Is there someone else out there who knows about us while we remain oblivious? ” I think this outstanding because it extremely insightful and something I don’t often think about.
    Another sentence that I saw was: “By the time I was born, they were both suffering from dementia, and I sadly never got to hear their stories.” This stood out for me because it is very thoughtful, and shows your charismatic personality.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I had to audition for a show. I know how nerve racking it must be when you’re waiting for your results. It’s just like it is when I am auditioning in front of professional ballerinas.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I know you are extremely passionate about your writing. Your opinion articles are always bomb and so are you.

2. Isabella Voos 5 days ago

Dear William,

3. Olivia 5 days ago

Dear William:
    I am impressed with your bio, “Writing, Life, and Me: My Journalist Bio” because of all you have accomplished in high school already and you are only a sophomore. You are juggling so much on your plate already with Boy Scouts and swimming on top of all the school work that comes with high school. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is “I’m not necessarily the best at interviewing and interactions, so I’ve always been a bit more inclined toward these types of writing.” I think this is relate because interviewing and interactions are also things I am not the greatest at. Another sentence I liked was “If I could interview anybody about anything, I would probably interview my grandmother and grandfather on my mom’s side of the family.” This stood out for me because my grandparents are two of my very best friends and sometimes I forget how lucky I am to be able to have the time I’ve had with them. Your bio reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I also decided that I wanted to submit an audition article for Rampant Lines. I also have a lot of the same interests that include film but I am more intrigued by music and the food aspect of entertainment. Opinion is something that I am just learning to write about but following examples like yours will help me learn. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I want to see how much more you will grow as a person and academically throughout the rest of your high school experience. I can tell by your bio that you have a lot of aspirations and are far wiser than your age.