My name is Murphy Fisher and I am a junior at JH Rose High School in Greenville, NC. I chose to be in journalism because I have always enjoyed writing and wanted to pursue it through taking journalism. Journalism offers such a wide variety of skills that I believe it will be beneficial in any career I choose. At my school, I enjoy writing mainly sports or news stories, and I am currently a sports editor.
In journalism, communication is very important, and I think that this is one of my strengths. Through journalism, I have grown in this area as I am always expected to be in constant communication with my co-editors-in-chief or inform and help the staff writers in my section. Communication is important in journalism as it helps clarify any questions I may have which reduces the potential for error in stories. Along with this, communication can help increase efficiency. In journalism, we strive to increase communication by having meetings at the beginning of every class period to discuss the needs of each section.
As a writer, I have always wanted to pursue topics more to my interest. As a sports editor, I have been writing stories on current events such as new coaches or new sports programs at Rose. When writing, I always try to focus on the more human interest side of a story, to make it more appealing to the public. If I were not writing in sports, I would also enjoy entertainment writing and doing music reviews. I think an ideal interviewee for this would be the actual artist of the album.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Who am I? by Murphy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. cecelia batton 5 days ago

Dear Murphy :

I am very pleased by your post, “Who am I?,” because it really explained why you started to want to be a journalist. I also stated what steps you took to get where you are now.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Communication is very important, it is one of my strengths.” I think this is good because I also think that in journalism all of the sections need to have good communication to keep the paper flowing.

Another sentence that I liked was that you focus more on human interest when you are writing a story. This stood out for me because most sports editors and writers would focus mainly on the facts of an article rather than how it affects the people.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was alone by myself at a concert and the only way that my mom would let me go was if I communicated to her where I was the whole time so I was safe.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you really showed your views and perspective on how you write and what specifically you do differently than other in your same section.

2. Olivia 1 week ago

Dear Murphy Fisher :

I am thrilled about your post , “Who Am I?,” because it allowed me to connect with you on certain points.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Journalism offers such a wide variety of skills that I believe it will be beneficial in any career I choose.” I think this is a good statement because I completely agree with you.

Another sentence that caught my attention was: “As a writer, I have always wanted to pursue topics more to my interest.” This stood out for me because as a writer, I to enjoy pursuing topics of my interest.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. As a writer, I was able to grow in my interests and focus on what I wanted and enjoyed writing for.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because…