Isabella Voos- My bio!

My name is Isabella Voos and I am a News editor for the Rampant Lines newspaper at J.H. Rose Highschool in Greenville, NC. I’m a senior and have always been focused on my academics. I joined my journalism class to add a little more interest into my busy schedule. Journalism was more than just a class; it was a fun activity that took a spin on writing a paper. I continued to be a journalist because I can include stories and events that are not normally talked about in my newspaper. I can also provide new and diverse angles and interviewees that another writer may not think about. 

For my first semester in journalism, I was a staff writer for news. This year, I chose to write for News again because I like the precision and accuracy of every story. There is no room for inferring or “adding fluff.” News is good for getting straight forward to the facts and the important events at Rose. I am a dancer so I am very influenced by the arts. Many find some news stories to be kind of boring, like ballet, but I feel like with my creative outlook on things, I can put a different angle on it to make it more interesting. 

Sometimes during an interview, students will not say their entire thoughts just because they may be published and fear that people will judge them; however I have always wanted to write a controversial story. For instance, there may be a very dramatic event or fight between our rival team. This could make a very entertaining news story, only if people are willing to talk about it, and if I’m able to get both sides of the story. With all of this being said, I would not want it to be detrimental to anyone on either side. Even if this will forever be a dream of mine, I know I will be writing about the successes of some of my closest friends; one of them is even going to be my lawyer one day!

CC BY-SA 4.0 The many details that make my Spread by Isabella is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Oriandy 2 months ago

Dear Isabella:

I was very drawn to your story mainly because I found someone who agrees with me on one thing, “There is no room for inferring or “adding fluff.” News is good for getting straight forward to the facts and the important events at Rose.” Journalism is so special and different from any other writing type because it conveys an intriguing story and at the same time the writer has to point out the evidence, all the facts. Others believe journalism is taking your own twist/ version on a story and modifying the reality to fit the audience’s interests, “add fluff”, as you said before. Our job as journalists is to write about something and put the facts out into the world and it is our responsibility to put our special touch on it by making it interesting and draw people to it without changing the reality of the story.
    As to influencing people to speak their mind and don’t mind being judged, try to show them or speak to them about the benefits of their opinion, that there are people out there who agree with them and they are representing that population. Maybe this will help and get ideas across to your friends:

https://www.more.com/lifestyle/why-its-important-voice-your-opinions/

Good luck to you and keep on writing!

2. Tierney 2 months ago

Dear Isabella:

I am happy to see your post, “The many details that make my Spread,” because of how it brings a new perspective to news writing. You make the point that news writing is very direct, but can still convey emotion. It can also accurately portray both light- hearted and serious topics.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “This year, I chose to write for News again because I like the precision and accuracy of every story.” I think this is true because of the language used in news. It does not allow for descriptors using opinion. This ensures that stories are accurate and precise, like you point out.

Another sentence that I like was: “Sometimes during an interview, students will not say their entire thoughts just because they may be published and fear that people will judge them; however I have always wanted to write a controversial story.” This stood out for me because of how finding good interview subjects is often half the battle.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time, I was doing quick interviews for the From the Halls column and nobody want to be interviewed. Finally, the one person who agreed found out about the picture that would accompany the quote and promptly refused. Eventually, a few people agreed, I was surprised by how so many people were worried to have their opinion published.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because of the perspective you bring to news writing. With your interest both in the arts and in covering controversial issues, you could cover a wide variety of topics.

3. William 2 months ago

Dear Isabella:

I am very impressed by your post, “The many details that make my spread,” because of how clearly you state your ambitions. You’re very direct in your writing and unafraid to talk about your ideas. You’re also very clear in stating why you chose Journalism and what it means to you.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Many find some news stories to be kind of boring, like ballet, but I feel like with my creative outlook on things, I can put a different angle on it to make it more interesting. ” I think this is descriptive and helpful because it adds a comparison and visual for readers that helps them grasp your meaning. It makes your point very clear and tells readers that, while you enjoy news, you still can be creative with it.

Another sentence that I noticed was: “With all of this being said, I would not want it to be detrimental to anyone on either side.” This stood out for me because it shows that you aren’t afraid to write something controversial, but you still care for people’s feelings and do not wish your writing to be harmful to anyone. I think this is a very important quality that every good writer must have.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time last year, when I was just learning about Journalism and joining, I was told that I could submit an audition article of sorts to see if I could become a writer for opinion or entertainment. I thought being a writer for news certainly showed promise, but I decided to apply for entertainment and opinion because of the creativity they offered. In talking about your creative outlook, I was reminded how my creative outlook encouraged me to apply for and eventually become a writer for opinion. I enjoy taking new angles on ideas, much like you have said about yourself.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because of your unique and descriptive way of how you express yourself. You are great at helping readers identify with you, something that many writers struggle to grasp. In the meantime, keep up the good work and don’t stop making your ideas known to the world.