Why are young lives being taken from us so fast?
Because No one is listening to our voices
Why do you keep knocking on the door?
You’re hoping that eventually that someone answers
How many times do you have to scream to be heard?
Until someone hears you and listens
Why is the trigger being pulled on so many innocent people?
Because the people or the person behind the gun are scared of reality
Scared of facing the fact that they’re human beings just like us
And that they’re nothing without the gun or weapon
They don’t want our voices to be heard
So the real question is
When are we going to let our voices to be heard?

In the style of Shel Silverstein “How Many, How Much”

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why, How, and When Is There Going To Be a Change? by Calaia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sam 2 months ago

This poem is great. I really like the tone and rhythm. I thought using questions every other line for the first handful of lines was cool because it got the readers to begin to answer them and think about the problem for themselves. I agree with your stance here and thought it was refreshing to hear this take. I agree in that we can’t just blame the shooters and move on, but we have to start thinking about their motives and then looking into the resources they have for dealing with said motives.

2. Laya 2 months ago

Hi Calaia,
    I love your poem, I think it has a meaning that needs to be talked about a lot more. Gun violence is so important and is such a huge issue that scares and puts people in danger everyday. Just by spreading the word, you can save lots of lives. I completely agree with you views, it is such a sad reality we live in and hopefully we can do something about it.

3. Prerna 2 months ago

Hi Calaia,
    This is an incredible poem! Gun control is a problem in today’s world and one of the most debated topics today. The fact that you put this in poem form while acknowledging why the person who the gun is pointed at and the person holding the gun is a really creative way to talk about this. I agree on how many young lives are being taken before they even have a chance to say what they even think or support guns. It’s a sad reality and something more people need to see. It’s not just about freedom any more it’s about lives.

4. Erica 2 months ago

Calaia, this is a very interesting an thought provoking poem. Most people assume gun violence is just that, reckless violence, but here you mention, “Because the people or the person behind the gun are scared of reality
    And that they’re nothing without the gun or weapon” which suggests there is a lot more at play. I have not read Silverstein’s original poem, but now I am more interested to see how you adapted it. This is a cool idea, nice work.
    -erica

5. erica 2 months ago

-erica

6. Heriberto 2 months ago

Dear Calai:

I am amazed by your comment “You can’t build peace with a piece” because I learned that people don’t listen to you. I am from Mexico but I live in California. A phrase that I liked was “How many times do you have to scream to be heard” because it talks about people not listening to you and that you have to do something wrong to be put under stress. Thank you for your comment I hope you write more for me to be able to listen to you and be able to comment.

Heriberto

Calaia Hoskins 2 months ago

I appreciate you for sharing that with me, I will be posting one later on today!

7. Kaila 2 months ago

Love this poem and its message! It connects so deeply to pressing issues that many teenagers encounter today. It is disheartening knowing that youth voices aren’t being heard despite our interest in issues and how drastically they effect us.

Calaia Hoskins 2 months ago

Thank you so much, you are totally right. Their voices aren’t being heard, they are being ignored. It’s time we take a stand to save more lives.