The items in my Shadow Box represent me, my counter narrative. When people look at me, they see a young man with brown skin. These are my assigned identities but they do not tell who I really am. In my shadow box I displayed a Mexico flag, Guatemala flag, Oakland tree, Money, and my baby pictures. My shadow box represents a lot about my ethnicity. I put the flags because I’m proud to be Mexican and Guatemalan and I love to represent my culture. I put the Oakland tree as my centerpiece because Oakland made me into me, it’s my chosen identity. Oakland raised me, I’ve lived here my whole life and I love to represent it because it’s the identity im most proud of. I chose to put my baby pictures and pictures with my family because my family is extremely important to me. I love my family because they support me no matter what and will always have my back. My brothers give me advice, they teach me right from wrong and most importantly have my back no matter what. My parents have worked substantially so get where they are today. For that I will be forever grateful because they sacrificed everything to give me and my brothers a better life. Dominant narratives about my race are, I am dangerous or poor. I’m not rich but my parents were able to put a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs, and food on our table. I’ve never been an aggressive person or a person who enjoys to hurt others. I’ve never threatened another person’s life. My shadow box tells my story, my weaknesses, my strengths, my autoethnography.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Shadow Box by Omar is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ycela 1 month ago

Hi Omar,
    I’m a student from San Jose State University. I liked reading about your shadow box and I think you did a great job describing the differences in the identities you have taken on. I completely agree that not one identity solely defines who we are. There is much more to us than what others may see, and it is great that you are able to recognize this. I can tell you put a lot of thought into your project by including things that were really important to you such as the Oakland tree and pictures of your family. It was also nice to read about how much you embrace your culture and the pride you take in being raised in Oakland. Great job!

2. Anthony JImenez 1 month ago

Dear Omar

Im a student at San Jose State University and wanted to mention how mazing your shadow looks and represents your life. I really liked how you put the type of money where you are from to show pride where you are from. Showing pictures of yourself is a great way to show who you and show others how you look and the type of person you are and great that you mentioned your family as well. I really enjoyed reading your description and telling us the kind of person you are and how you displayed it on your shadow box.

3. Maribel 2 months ago

Dear,omar i like how u talked about where your from and how u described everything about the domminant narative side you explained very well and ia gree with you people think the worse of others and think they are aggressive when theyre not