By: Jose Cordova

The objects in this Shadow Box represents myself as a human. When people look at me they think that I’m Mexican but I’m not or people see me as a young boy with black hair and brown eyes. While my Chosen identity is to love sports and love my country to work hard, to love sports, I like to play video games. I choose to include in my shadow box those are my favorite subjects to do when I ́m not doing anything at home. My including subjects that I put in my shadow box I put a Barcelona logo also some baby pictures when I was a little kid what I like and what represents me as an Oakland kid and this explain my chosen Identity. That’s how I want people to look at me. I choose to put a Counter and Dominant Narrative are on the outside and on the inside there is the counter narrative. Although there are many strugles im still going to be successful by just being me.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Shadow Box by Jose is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jennifer Cardenas 1 month ago

Dear Jose,
    First things first, your shadow box is beautiful, i’m glad you added photos of yourself and items that represent who you are! What stood out to me the most was the fact you explain and talk about your personal background in a way that allows people to really understand who you are. I loved your sentence ” Although there are many struggles im still going to be successful by just being me”. That really impacted me because sometimes I dont really realize that success can come in many other ways, and you just interpreted one, thank you! Although we may not know eachother I can see many are proud of who youve become and you should be too.

2. Melissa 2 months ago

Dear Jose,
    One sentence that stood out to me was, “Although there are many struggles im still going to be successful by just being me.” It stood out to me because you have lots of confidence in your future and your success. I am proud of your shadowbox because it has lots of meaning and at first glance it looks simple but once you read the meaning it says a lot about who you are as a person.