My Truths
By:Joselyn Andrade

This shadow box represents my counter narrative and dominant narratives. I have chosen to include the Mexican flag and La Virgin. The reason I included the Mexican flag is because my parents were born there which means I have mexican blood. I just put it so people can know I’m proud of being Mexican. The reason I put la virgen is because I grew up as praying to her when bad situations were happening. I see myself as an independent strong person which is why I put a picture of me and me and my mom because my mom showed me to be strong and independent also because she’s important to me.Many people assume I am Arabic because of the way I look or think I’m  an immigrant because I speak Spanish and my skin color. Many people will also call Mexicans “beaners”, “wet bags” and so many disrespectful things which is why I added that to my dominant narrative.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Truths by Joselyn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Silvia 1 month ago

Hi Joselyn, I am currently a student at San Jose State University. When looking at your shadow box, I instantly connected to it because my Mexican background also makes me a stronger individual. I loved how you added pictures because it displayed your personality. After all, I really enjoyed reading your story and seeing your shadow box. You did and awesome job.

2. Alexandra 1 month ago

Joselyn,
    I was able to connect with your shadow box because although I don’t pray to la virgen, I do pray and hope for good in tough situations. Being independent is not always easy and I admire that you have the courage to do that. I can relate to people calling you Arabic because of what you look like. I have also been called Arabic, but it doesn’t really bother me anymore I just kind of let it be and correct them. Be proud of who you are and continue to express it. Everyone should understand that where you come from represents them as a whole and there is nothing to be ashamed of. Thank you for showing your shadow box I hope a lot more people can connect to it the way I did.

Alexandra A.

3. Nancy 2 months ago

Dear Joselyn

I am impressed with your publication “My truths” because you are proud to have Mexican parents and do not care what others think of you because there are many people who are ashamed of having Mexican potatoes because all they want is to have friends.

One phrase he wrote that catches my attention is “The reason I included the Mexican flag is because my parents were born there, which means I have Mexican blood.” I think this is surprising because you, although you were not born in Mexico because your parents are Mexican, just with that, you are proud to have Mexican potatoes, which you also feel proud to have as parents.

Thanks for write. I hope to see what you write next, because I would like to know more about your cultures or things like that.
    When you go to Mexico, what traditions do they have?