My Truths
By:Joselyn Andrade

This shadow box represents my counter narrative and dominant narratives. I have chosen to include the Mexican flag and La Virgin. The reason I included the Mexican flag is because my parents were born there which means I have mexican blood. I just put it so people can know I’m proud of being Mexican. The reason I put la virgen is because I grew up as praying to her when bad situations were happening. I see myself as an independent strong person which is why I put a picture of me and me and my mom because my mom showed me to be strong and independent also because she’s important to me.Many people assume I am Arabic because of the way I look or think I’m  an immigrant because I speak Spanish and my skin color. Many people will also call Mexicans “beaners”, “wet bags” and so many disrespectful things which is why I added that to my dominant narrative.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Truths by Joselyn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nancy 6 days ago

Dear Joselyn

I am impressed with your publication “My truths” because you are proud to have Mexican parents and do not care what others think of you because there are many people who are ashamed of having Mexican potatoes because all they want is to have friends.

One phrase he wrote that catches my attention is “The reason I included the Mexican flag is because my parents were born there, which means I have Mexican blood.” I think this is surprising because you, although you were not born in Mexico because your parents are Mexican, just with that, you are proud to have Mexican potatoes, which you also feel proud to have as parents.

Thanks for write. I hope to see what you write next, because I would like to know more about your cultures or things like that.
    When you go to Mexico, what traditions do they have?