This Shadow Box represents who I am truely, and most of my dominant narratives on the outside. I see myself as a young and independent woman and for sure I don’t think other people see me like that. In my shadow box, I decided to include flowers, two pictures of me and my parents and money from Guatemala, those objects are really important to me because each of them represents who I am. My shadow box might not be perfect but it’s okay because my identities are not perfect at all. People may assume that I am just a cis gender woman who will become nothing in life and I am going to prove the people wrong, and work strong to become who I truely want to be. My gender expression is my chosen identity because I choose to express myself in certain ways and expressing myself as a woman brings up my dominant narratives. But I know my true identities and that’s all that matters, my chosen identities speak louder than the assumptions and assigned identities people make. 

1. Spencer 2 months ago

Dear Jimena, I am a student at SJSU. I think your interpretation of how your shadow box portrays you is very unique. I really loved how you said “I know my true identities and that’s all that matters, my chosen identities speak louder than the assumptions and assigned identities people make.” It is important to know who you are and portray it yourself instead of letting others’ opinions affect who you are. Thank you for your time.

2. Diana Hernandez 7 months ago

Hi, I am a student from San Jose State University, and I liked it when you said: “my chosen identities speak louder than the assumptions and assigned identities people make.” You have a powerful way of thinking and by keeping it up, you will do big things in life and prove people wrong.

3. Christian 7 months ago

This shadow box is one of those unique ones that really bring out the person’s characteristics, and bring out what kind of person the creator of this box is. It really intrigues me what you put in it from the family photos to the money from guatemala all. This is a great shadow box and one those unique ones that make it great.

4. Lesly 7 months ago

Hi, I am a student from San Jose State University it caught my attention when you comapared your shadow box to yourself stating “My identities are not perfect at all”. Another sentence that caught my attention was the last one it demonstrates that you have acknowledge what your identity means to you and how is a big part of your life.