I am particularly interested in this question of vaping due to the fact that it is affecting many people around me and that I care about. I know that there is not much information on this topic at the moment, but it is very harmful and lethal in some cases. I think it is really important to put out the right information especially on this topic because it is affecting so much of our youth. There is so much false information and a lack thereof. 

The FDA admits to saying they should have acted sooner and regulated these devices because it is damaging so much of the youth. The question of what exactly is causing all of these vape related lung illnesses is still unknown and all they can say about it is that, “we’re going to catch up.” The article also mentions that they noticed this increase in youth related vaping all the way back in 2013. That means they’ve known about it for six years and are just now beginning to try and regulate it. Due to so many of the vape products being used, many of them are blackmarket and not being sold legally. This makes it so much harder to pinpoint what exactly is damaging people and they hope to find out soon. 

This article states that President Trump wants to enforce a nationwide ban on, “all non tobacco flavors of e-cigarettes, including mint and menthol.” I do understand where he is coming from, but the fact that cigarettes themselves are known to be extremely deadly causing more than 480,000 deaths per year and are still sold legally doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Especially because cigarettes can too be mint or menthol flavored. Many states are taking actions into their own hands, for example Massachusetts has decreed a 4 month ban on all vaping related products.  Another interesting factor is the fact that the CDC made the statement, “The latest findings from the investigation into lung injuries associated with e-cigarette use, or vaping, suggest products containing THC play a role in the outbreak.” This brings up the question why aren’t THC vaping products being banned too if in fact it is what is most likely causing these illnesses and in some cases deaths. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Vaping Epidemic by Sam is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Gedeon 1 week ago

I agree with your thoughts on this issue. The FDA attempted to set restrictions on flavors in the past, but has not been successful. Although they were not successful in doing so in the past , they are still pursuing their goal.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-10-01/vaping-flavors-obama-white-house-fda

2. Jose De Jesus 1 week ago

Yo lo que entendí fue que la FDA admite haber dicho que deberían haber actuado antes y haber regulado estos dispositivos porque está dañando a gran parte de los jóvenes. La pregunta de qué está causando exactamente todas estas enfermedades pulmonares relacionadas con el vaporizador aún se desconoce y todo lo que pueden decir al respecto es que, “nos pondremos al día”. El artículo también menciona que notaron este aumento en el vapeo relacionado con la juventud todo el camino de regreso en 2013. Eso significa que lo han sabido durante seis años y que ahora están comenzando a intentar regularlo. Debido a que muchos de los productos de vape que se utilizan, muchos de ellos son de mercado negro y no se venden legalmente. Esto hace que sea mucho más difícil determinar qué es exactamente lo que está dañando a las personas y esperan descubrirlo pronto.

3. Eric 2 weeks ago

I find this to be very informative! It is significant that there has been no restrictions on the selling of cigarettes even though they kill far more people per year while vapes are most likely to be completely banned, except for one flavor (while cigarettes can still sell in multiple flavors).
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/health/trump-vaping.html