This shadow box represents my identity and what I want to show others. The inside of my box are my counter narratives, the items  that choose to represent myself as. In this box I added a venus symbol, pictures, a rosary, animals, a miniature ladder and a flag. The venus symbol is my assigned identity and it represents my sex which is female and I am proud to be a female because females are strong, hardworking people. My pictures represent my family and who I am close with. The picture on the far left is my cousin and I celebrating our 3/4 birthday.In the middle, is my sister and I, I decided to include this picture because we are close and she has helped me through a lot and taught me important lessons that have helped me in my life. The picture on the right shows when I was getting baptised. I also added a rosary because it represents my Catholic religion and it connects to the picture of my baptism. Being Catholic is a chosen identity because I could have chosen to not follow Catholicism but I did and I’m happy that I made such a big decision. I decided to add the animals because back in mexico my family had a plethora of animals and I really like animals so that represents a part of me. An assigned identity that I added was the Mexican flag because I am proud of where I am from and I also added the ladder next to the Mexican flag as a metaphor that I am a Chicana whose parents are immigrants and who will reach her dreams and be successful.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Melissa Luis’ Shadow Box by Melissa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.