I’m interested in my Generation, gen z, and how we form relationships considering we are the first generation to grow up with smartphones and social media from childhood. Generation Z is loosely identified as those born from 1995 to 2010 and the defining characteristic that we are ‘digital natives’ spending over ten hours a day on the internet. The question is does social media make us more social?

San Diego State University psychology professor Jean Twenge reported that the percentage of high school seniors who said they felt lonely often increased from 26 percent in 2012 to 39 percent in 2017. However, others point out that social media provides a community for today’s teens to identify with and vent to. Everything we are doing is different than before, especially since this generation is keen on making their own culture, whether that is with memes, online identities, or advocating for ideas of passion. The biggest distinction is that all this communication is through a screen instead of face to face. This could impact verbal social skills, making real-world interactions more lonely, yet it increases online interactions. So is Generation Z, the loneliest generation? The answer is the same as if the Millennials were the laziest generation. We are all different from our predecessors and the factors around us shape how we learn and grow.

CC BY-SA 4.0 “Kids These Days” by Emmy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Aidan 2 weeks ago

As a member of Gen Z myself I too wonder about how our solely unique upbringing will affect us as a generation in the future. Since smartphones have really only been around for fifteen years we really can’t have any idea about the long term effects of them on developing brains. One thing I know for sure though is that it doesn’t make me personally more lonely it’s more a tool of connecting with other people, albeit not a way that other generations are used to.