In today’s society, especially in teens, depression has risen. Most articles I read did say it was due to the amount of stress we are put under and also social media. Social media has definitely caused most of the teenager population to feel anything but positive. When scrolling through Instagram and seeing a model, girls wish to be her, which brings down confidence. Men see these models and expect every girl to look that way, and when they don’t they body shame the girls. The same goes for men ad boys too. Because social media has given all of us a certain, specific perspective, everyone gets self-confidence and falls into an unhealthy state of mind. Seeing models isn’t the only cause, though. Because it’s so much easier to say something in a disappearing snap, cyberbullying has increased, causing people to fall into an unhealthy mindset. Mental health wasn’t this big of a deal back in the day, but now it’s part of our everyday lives because of social media. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 How is social media affecting teenagers? by Tiffany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Maggie 1 week ago

I agree with you. I believe that social media truly does bring down a person’s confidence, and it makes them doubt their values and talents.