Global Dignity is an independent, non-political organization that is working towards dignity for all people by creating a global conversation about dignity, and promoting dignity-based leadership to discuss the issue of dignity with young people. An annual Dignity Day on October 20 was arranged for the first time in 2008, where school classes are invited to discuss what dignity means to them and their relationship with other people.The Dignity project has formulated five dignity principles:

Every human being has a right to lead a dignified life.
A dignified life means an opportunity to fulfill one’s potential, which is based on having a humane level of health care, education, income and security.
Dignity means having the freedom to make decisions on one’s life and to be met with respect for this right.
Dignity should be the basic guiding principle for all actions.
Ultimately, our own dignity is interdependent with the dignity of others.

globall.jpg

CC BY-SA 4.0 GLOBAL DIGNITIY DAY by Guest Post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Peyton 3 weeks ago

Hello Shahbaz, thank you for your discussion about Global Dignity Day. I know that in your post you talked about how it wants to promote a global discussion about dignity of all people, but I was curious about whether or not this holiday is actually celebrated internationally? I only ask this because I feel like for a holiday dubbed Global Dignity Day should have quite a bit of global representation. Thank you for your post.

2. madison 3 weeks ago

Shahbaz, thank you for teaching me about Global Dignity Day. I didn’t previously know that it existed. I agree with you that having a dignified life should be a basic human right. I wonder if in my classes, we will discuss the meaning of dignity as well. It would be interesting to see how others define dignity because everyone has their own interpretations of the word.

3. David 3 weeks ago

Hi Shahbaz, I enjoyed reading your post about dignity.I agree with you 100%, dignity is one of the most import things people can have, people should be proud of who they are and not be afraid to be themselves.