My name is Keily Mendez, a short ,dark- haired, light-skinned Latina. I was born in Dominican Republic in 2002. I lived in the DR for 5 years with my grandparents. When I turned 6 I came to the U.S and basically lived most of my life here. Three important things about me: I want to study medicine in college , I have a 6-month-old baby and I have a passion for makeup. An important moment in my life was leaving my country for a better future. This was a turning point because I had to adapt to another culture and education.

My favorite thing to do in school is definitely getting all my work done, passing all my classes and doing fun activities. In school I’m good at getting work done on time and sports. Out of school I just enjoy being home and sleeping , or being on my phone, or listening to music. Lastly I’m very good at writing poems , I’ve been writing poems since I was 7 and since then I have been practicing. 

Education is really important to me because not only do I have to educate myself and go to college and get a good career but I also have a responsibility for my life and I want to be able to educate my child too. I’m not scared of being a failure because I would not allow that. It’s really important for me to set an example for my son and also for young teens that also go through this situation.          

CC BY-SA 4.0 Education for Me & My Child by Keily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Baoyang 2 weeks ago

Thank you to sharing your amazing story and I strongly agree that education is a responsibility to our life. When we have kids it is important to set an example for them because parents are their first teacher in the world. You are such a brave girl who can decide leave your country for a better future. You said “I’m not scared of being a failure because I would not allow.” I know you are an motivated girl and you are positive and you don’t fear to face the problems. I can see you will do a good job in college. Best wishes for you!

2. Jasmine 2 weeks ago

This is a very inspiring story! I like how you said you will not allow yourself to give up and how you are setting an example for your son. Good luck and I know you will make it to college!