This shadow box represents some of my assigned identities. One of my assigned identities is being Mexican. To represent that I included “Sinaloa” and “Nayarit.” These parts of Mexico is where my dad and mom came from. The flag in the background also represent my ethnicity. I also included La Virgen de Guadalupe and Jesus Malverde to show what my family and I believe in. The name “Gastelum” in the top is my last name. This represents a lot because my dad’s family from Sinaloa is big and have been through tough obstacles, which makes us a strong family. Our last name is also unique that everyone who has this name is my relative. The horse in the middle represents what my family and I like. We like to go ride horses when we go to Mexico, especially in Nayarit since my mom is from a small town called “Amatlan de Cañas” in Nayarit . The pink with glitter at the bottom of my shadow box represents that I am biologically a female. I am also the only daughter out of the 3 of my brothers. Being the only daughter has made me realize a lot. For example, how to be independent, have a lot of respect for myself, and to know my worth. A lot of women get put down because our society calls us “weak” for being female. This is the counter narrative I want to represent with some of these objects in my shadow box. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Yari’s Shadow Box by Yaritza is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.