The objects in my shadow box really represent a lot about me and my nationality and race. This also shows a lot of my chosen identities like i’m a big fan of soccer and basketball so I put my favorite teams in both sports. I also put a copy of Mario Kart 7 because growing up that was the game I loved the most I would play it anytime I could. I also showed some of my assigned identities like me being from Guatemala is very important to me because that’s where my blood comes from and I feel like I should embrace that. Being from Guatemala is really amazing but it’s really challenging because people don’t expect anything from me anything I’m useless. I put a medal in the box because I got 2nd place in a soccer tournament and that really inspires me to win a 1st place medal in soccer. I also put a teddy bear in here because I am very injury prone I have had 3

CC BY-SA 4.0 Whats inside the box? by Douglas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Brianna 4 months ago

Hello Douglas, I am a student at SJSU, your shadow box was amazing what stood out to me was that you played soccer because soccer has been the only sport I’ve actually played. I love that sport and I love the dedication you have to the sport and the want to exceed and surpass from 2nd to 1st place. I also enjoyed the fact that you displayed your heritage and what it means to you.

2. Ashley 4 months ago

Dear Douglas,
    Something I liked about your shadow box is about how you want to embrace bout you being from Guatemala. I’m also from Guatemala so i do connect you from that. I like how you put the Guatemalan flag on the background so it does pop out. A sentence that stood out to me was about how you liked about Mario Kart 7. I liked that video game when i was little because me and my brother about who’s getting first place.