This Shadow Box represents my Race, Gender identity, and my Creativity. When people look at me, they see a Black female. Yes, I am a Black female, but I am not only a Black female, I am also mixed with Puerto Rican and Mexican. Many people assume that I’m in a gang or that I am rude because I am Black. The Dominant Narratives I have affects me because to me people assume what I am and then people make it seem like I’m a bad impression. Even though that’s what people see me as I see myself differently. I see myself as a mixed female who is independent and focuses on more important things like grades and school then getting into gangs or fights. I have also chosen to include the yarn to show my creativity because my cousin taught me how to make scarves with yarn and since then I’ve always made scarves with yarn. Many people believe that I am an awful influence because of the color of my skin and music that I listen to out in public but, I’m not an awful influence I actually help people when they need it and I never focus on anything unacceptable like people in public think I do.

1. Moi Tong-Woo 2 months ago

Hi Amilia,

My name is Moi, and I am a student at San Jose State University. I really enjoy your shadow box. It genuinely reflects how intuitive you are and how well you know yourself. I am so glad that you want to break the stereotypes of today’s society; most people would prefer to settle to avoid conflict. I can tell that you are unapologetically yourself. Also, I find myself to be a very creative person as well! Creativity shows a lot about a person, and using yarn as a medium is something I have never ever thought of. Thank you for the inspiration (: Good luck to you.

-Moi

2. Kaitlin 7 months ago

Hi Amilia,
    I am currently a student at SJSU. Your project is very inspiring and should be done for students all around the world. As you mentioned, it is a great way to see the deeper and more personal side of people. Also, it is a great way to learn new things about others. I really enjoyed you including the flag to show that you are mixed. It is one example of showcasing someone’s more personal traits. Overall, I love your project and you should continue to advertise it.

Kaitlin

3. Jaqueline 7 months ago

Dear Amilia,
    I am excited about your shadow box “The Truth” because I enjoyed how you see yourself and not let what other people see you as, affect you. I also liked how you added an example like the yarn.
    From jackie

4. Ha 7 months ago

Hi Amilia! I am a current student at San Jose State University. I find that your project is very unique and creative. What I really enjoyed reading was your background of who you are. You explained very well of who you are, your race, gender, and identity. You also bolded the main points, which makes it easier for me to refer back to. You also added details into your Shadow Box such as yarns. It it very impressive how you shared with me your background story about how your cousin taught you how to make scarves out of yarn. Overall, I really enjoy reading your story and seeing your Shadow Box. Keep up the good work!!