My shadow box represents my identities. One identity is chosen by me: being  a scholar. Me, being a scholar, brings up multiple thoughts to the mind, such as knowing everything and not having a problem with school. This is far from the truth, and I as everyone else, who has gone through school, have struggled and obviously I am not perfect. My assigned identities represented in my box are my ethnicity Latino and my gender and sex being male. I did not have a choice over these and they are heavily stereotyped. The inside of my box goes against the outside pictures. Being male causes unwanted power and being Latino causes unwanted oppression; This plays into the idea of intersectionality. I always want to remember my roots, where I came from, and how I don’t ever want to fall into society’s negative stereotypical view of me.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Real Me by Xavier is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.