My Truths

By: Yadira Bugambilia
I don’t have many objects in my shadow box, just images of my family and friends. It might seem plain to others but not to me. Friends and family are all I really care about. I don’t have many hobbies; I just go on my phone and play video games. There are many Dominant narratives of me that people have. Some may be that I’m a drug dealer, have bad grades, or that my hair is fake, that I am mean or nice. There are so many dominant narratives for me that I am not aware of because everyone has different narratives for people by how they perceive that certain person and their race. Some may be true and some false but my Counter narratives show who I really am. I am Black and Mexican, nice, and funny, there are so many assumptions of me but I am the person who chooses who I want to be. People may not see that because of the dominant narratives people say about me and how I should act. Not many objects are shown in my shadow box, and that’s because I don’t have many objects with sentimental value and I’m not a crafty person.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Shadow Box by Yadira is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.