Who I Really Am

By:America Torres

Hi, I have done this shadow box to show the Dominant Narratives (what people think of me) and my Counter Narratives (my truths/the real me). In my shadow box I have added two flags one Mexican flag and one from the U.S.A. These flags represent where I’m from, for example, my family is from Mexico but I was born in the U.S.A. which makes me Latina and because of that people assume about me. To begin, people believe that I’m lazy, girly, and that because my family is Mexican I have to be part of the Catholic religion. Some even tell me that I’m privileged and ask me if I come from an immigrant family. But, those as I said, are Dominant Narratives. But what is true is that I am a hard working, outgoing, smart girl even if I’m not book smart I am smart in my own way and those are my Counter Narratives, my truth. And I believe that it’s not true that I’m lazy because I work hard each and everyday to be in the place I am in now and to have good grades because I know the struggles my parents went through to be here in America and try to give me and my siblings the best lives we could ever have. I also think that I’m not girly. I may be outgoing and self confident but not girly and that is why I added a small perfume, lip stick, and a purse in my shadow box because people say that I wear makeup and do my nails because I’m girly but in reality i’m just that girl who loves to enjoy life and loves being around animals. Lastly, people say that I have to be part of the Cathlic religion which I am but I also have a second religion which Im proud of and it’s called “Mi Religion Es Yoruba” that’s why I decided to add a picture of la virgen de guadalupe next to my other religion picture to show that I don’t only stand by one religion but by two but in both of my religions we believe in god because as they say “You can’t do anything without God by your side” and I stand by that phrase!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Shadow Box by America is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.