by Josue Mendoza This shadow box represents the dominant narrative and the counter narrative of being male and Mexican. So on the inside it is showing The counter narratives. But the outside is showing the dominant narrative. Many people may believe that I am an immigrant or a male that can be unemotional. But what I really am is a Latino that is legal and emotional And someone that can show off and be proud of who they are. A counter narrative that I see myself is that I am ready to face the world I’m ready to go against all the oppression that the world hits me with.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Josue’s shadow box by Josue is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ycela 4 months ago

Hi Josue,
    I’m a student from San Jose State University. Your shadow box project is interesting as it introduced me to a new perspective and experience that is different from my own. It is awesome that you are comfortable with being emotional even when you face society’s dominant narrative that men are not emotional. I like how you said that you are proud of this characteristic you have. From the picture, I can see you wrote “toughen up” on the outside of your box which I think is good to include because it clearly shows the expectations you face. I would have enjoyed reading even more about the specific things you placed in your shadow box and what they represent, but overall you did a good job. Nice work!

2. Elizabeth 4 months ago

Dear Josue, your shadow box is very appealing, the color would attract anyone to it. I can tell that you tried to make your box a nice as possible because you even added a cloth flag. I love how you added a guarache because to me, it symbolizes all of the steps that mexicans have taken to fight back oppression and get to the place in society that they deserve. One sentence that stands out to me is: “Many people may believe that I am an immigrant or a male that can be unemotional. But what I really am is a Latino that is legal and emotional.” This stood out to me because you realizing that society is wrong when they push you to be this dominant unemotional being is super important in the path of connecting with who you really are. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because it seems like you have a very open-minded opinion about who you wish to be.

3. Lesly 4 months ago

I thought the way you expressed what it is like to be a Mexican male was interesting and important. In Mexican culture it is common for men to be told to not show emotion, and I loved how you touched on that. Being able to identify as both a Mexican male and an emotional human is super important. I think the baby picture in your shadow box was a great element. The confidence you have will take you places and you should always keep the mentality that you can overcome any barrier. Good Job!