By: Ivan Guerrero

This shadow box represents how people view me on the outside and how I really am on the inside. The objects in this shadow box represent my true self. When people see me they think of me of a person who can potentially be dangerous or someone who is up to no good, that’s what people assume of me because of my race, or my assigned identity, which is being an immigrant/Mexican. But that is not the full part of me. The Mexican flag and the virgin mary that I put inside my box represent my chosen and somewhat assigned identity because I chose to believe in god and his mother but I also had the choice not to believe in that. But I did not choose to be Mexican even though I didn’t choose, I like to represent myself as a latino/Mexican because now I know how strong we can be. As an immigrant im often told by others that I should go back to my country and that this place would be better without us. I have noticed that many people expect more on Male bodied people and since my gender identity is male, I am expected to behave in a certain way at school. Me and other male people also are expected to get a good job to maintain the woman we will have one day. That’s just how our society/nationalities expect us to grow up. But I think that all women can take care of themselves and I know, and they know that they don’t need someone to rely on. The counter narrative that i hope to represent with this shadow box is that not all Mexicans are how Trump described us to be. And that any Male and Female person can be themselves and not have to grow up how our society is expecting us to grow, and that we all have a choice of who we want become.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Ivan’s Shadowbox by Ivan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.