By: Jesus Ramirez

The objects inside of this box show who I am and my counter narrative. When people see me, they think of a Mexican kid who probably does a lot of negative actions and gets in trouble. I am the opposite, I love to respect others if they respect me. I love art and I just love to look different compared to other people. I chose the colors purple and black because I feel like those two colors are really weird. They represent how different I am. I chose pictures of me as a smaller kid because I wanted people to know what it was like to grow up as a male. I had a really good childhood, I loved being male and I felt comfortable in my body. I chose the art supplies because I am an artist. I have always loved art with all of my heart, it had taken up most of my childhood. From drawing little doodles to drawing very good landscapes. I also have loved music since I was a kid. I have worked in the music industry as a small producer, I tried to make a small studio with a laptop computer to show how I made music using only a usb connected keyboard and a microphone. And finally I chose Mexican ornaments because I am a Mexican and I love my culture. So using the ornaments, I was able to really show that I know what it is like to be a Mexican.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fighting Against Dominant Narratives by Jesus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Denise Duong 4 months ago

Hi Jesus Ramirez,
    I am a college student at SJSU. I found your shadow box to be fascinating because you are showing that you are not the kind of person that stereotypes have created for someone that is Mexican. Such as you state that you love art. I also liked how you said how purple and black are weird colors and how you associate yourself with these two colors. I also found how you incorporate things that you love to do, such as art, your laptop, which connected with you and being a producer, and how you add parts of Mexican ornaments because it is who you are and you are proud of it. I find these things to be astonishing since not only are you proud of your background, but you are also happy at what you are doing, and that shows that you are not someone that would get into trouble. I hope you will continue to do art and music later in life.

2. Briana 4 months ago

Hi Jesus! My names Briana Estrada, I’m a currently a student at San Jose State University. I really enjoyed reading about your shadow box! I love how passionate you are about your culture. Especially, because I am hispanic. You seem very talented for being so young! Keep pursing your passions in art and music.

3. Cesar 4 months ago

I am proud about your post called, “Fighting Against Dominant Narratives”, because it takes fearlessness to share your life to people that you might not know. I am at ease with you and I hope that you change the minds of ones with dominant narritives about you.