Story of me 

By:Emily Rangel

The objects in this shadow box represent who I truly am; my counter narrative. When people look at me, they see a short, brown skin girl with black hair. Many people assume that I don’t like studying or always skip school. But actually I see myself as a cisgender young woman, with educational talent; I am a diligent girl. My religion, being Catholic, is a great part of who I am, it represents me and makes me be a better person. I have chosen to include the Mexican flag because I am proud of being Chicana it makes me feel strong. I was born in the United States but I don’t really feel proud of it, especially with our president now. This is why you can’t see an American flag in my box. All of this is my counter narrative of what people believe or say about me. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 emily shadow box by Emily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.